digital Radio

Started by IanR, April 01, 2010, 08:57:52 PM

IanR

Australia recently commenced radio broadcasts using the new digital format.  This meant that we now have three radio formats and meant that I, being a radio nut, would need to buy a new radio.  To entice the new market, a number of really good radio stations that were previously only available as internet stations, are braodcasting on digital radio as well.

Given that I laready have more than enough radios to have one in every room of the house, I thought that the new purchase should be a discreet one.  So when I saw the Lennox pocket radio in the local electrical shop recently, I pounced.

What I liked about it was that it is small and can be carried around in my pocket.  My wife has not noticed it yet!!!  

I have also found that it sounds great when it is plugged into my FM radio (which has great sound and an audio in socket), or through headphones.  However, the built in speaker is awful and tinny (but I didn't expect much anyway).  

The thing to note however, is that reception, even when the aerial is fully extended, is fickle, so that if you are moving, you find the signal drops out fairly often.

It only cost $100 aus, so its nowhere near the top of the range but I'd say that my first experience with digital radio is a fairly good one.

Has anyone else had experience with digital radio??

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

flyon90

I had never even heard of digital radio before I read your post, after a quick google search I found out that aparently while digital (they call it HD radio here in the U.S.) radio has taken over the airwaves in the UK there is still very little use in the U.S.  Apparently satellite radio like sirius and XM have kept digital radio from gaining wide success.  Your post really interested me in digital radio I'm probobly going to go see if I can get these locally, there has to be some kind of digital radio stations in Chicago to listen to.