Thanks guys /// The strings " Gotta Go "

Started by Nelson, March 26, 2010, 10:17:50 AM

Nelson

Hey thanks guys, the strings are out, period. I'm taking my own advise. When I talk to other musicians, even the ones with more experience than I have, the biggest piece of advice is, don't fall in love with any riff, or any line in the lyrics, or instrument or any tone because if they are distracting your listener, then they are detracting from the song and they "Gotta Go". Nothing you want in the song should over-ride want works in the song.
When I first put the in strings nobody understood what I was trying to do with the contrast between the sweet strings and the low vocals, they just didn't get it. After a year of making music, I recognize that is my M.O. Shake it up and go my own way. Usually after they hear the finished product they usually, come around, not always. I know you guys get what I was going for and that makes it easier to take your advice.
Back to falling in love with your great ideas, though I love the idea of strings on this song they're clearly not working. And when it's not working find something that does. When I start on a song I rely on my creative voice but when you get this point, you have to listen to what the song is telling you. And in this case, I also have you guys. Hey we tried to save the strings with mixing, it just didn't work. ( Lol ) I can't tell you how much I appreciate all you guy's helpful suggestions. It's great to be able to work on something post it and get instant feedback, on what's works for you or doesn't.
I'm messing around with organ and piano tones. The piano seems to fit ,which is bad news, because I play the keyboard even worst then I play the guitar. Lol  1 and 2 finger chop stick, style. But I already have a little melody for the chorus. As for the verse, I have to be sure not to take way from minimalistic, vibe of the song. maybe I'll sprinkle a little in the verse, for flavor.

When I say you guys I mean everyone who has giving advice on how to improve my work.
If I start naming, I'll leave someone out and I don't want to do that.
Thanks again
-Nelson

Not sure if this goes here so just don't spank me too hard. 
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Gary F

Hi Nelson,this place is great! We post our music and give each other comments and suggestions.
Sometimes they work,sometimes they don't!They are all what each individual feels that he would like the song to sound like.But in the end, it should be what the artist himself wants his work to be.You have a great style and your own great sound.I'm a big fan.Keep on doing what you feel is right!!

Gary

Tony W

This will most likely get moved to the general forum. I love how receptive you are to other interpretations Nelson. You're a classy guy.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Now I am really excited hearing this, because you really do have a monster song on your hands with this one.  I am looking forward to hearing the new mix.  You are a natural songwriter and singer, keep them coming.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

nelson whatever you choose to do, i want a signed copy of your album when it comes out to show to my friends so i can say nelson signed this for me.

peace and love to you
wee giacomo
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SE

Really nice how your progressing your music, you have a really great voice with some great melodies, hope to hear more of your work.
recorder
Boss BR-80

OsCKilO

Bro.....

The strings are well placed.....

The Keyboard is what makes them less desierable....

Your comp's are Sublime!

You just need better tools ....Synth wise...

But it just shows how great your music is, that the synth quality (Not playing) didn't spoil it!

You Are Awesome!

Your Vox and Guitar are F*cking amazing by the way.......

You inspier me bro.....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy