Time and Chance

Started by Spectrum GT, August 13, 2008, 01:41:25 PM

Spectrum GT

Time and chance
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi all
Well here's my first effort with the micro, warts and all - lyrics inspired by the Good Book from where i get most of my inspiration for lyrics these days (Ecclesiastes chp 9 v11 if you dont believe me)
Discovered half way through there's a max of 50 steps to drums (bummer) - had to go back and delete a few only to find
it puts the rest out of sequence! - still there's a lot to be said for learning things the hard way..
It was all done on the BR with strat + my trusty 86 Spectrum GT bass, no bounces used and mastered direct with the 'live mix''.
No computers were used - heck i'm still using windows 3.1 .. Wanted to go back and make note of which guitar effects i used but cant seem to tell now?? Lyrics are thrown in here case you want to sing along but cant understand me irish accent. Comments on how to improve it always welcome

TIME AND CHANCE

The axe grows dull
The snake bites
Before it is charmed
Life's unfair
Cruel twists of fate
Dealer's sleight of hand

refrain
The race is not to the swift
Nor the battle to the strong
Wealth shuns the grasp of the learned
Will righteousness a godly life prolong?

We chase the wind
And strive with
Life's random events
Dust to dust
We take our leave
Of this earthly tent

refrain

When wisdom fails
The fool toils
With multiplied words
Truth is a knife
Cuts to the chase
Like a two edged sword

refrain

reprise
God is our Father
of this I'm sure
But time and chance
Is the mother of us all

SteveG

The feel of this reminds me of something but I cant think what, one of the 60's / 70's psychedelic mob I think. Blodwyn Pig, someone like that. Nice first try there! Sounded great.

guitarron

i friggin' love it-nice change in the bridge
Ron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

PhilFromIT

First off, really great song. I listened to it 4 times in a row. The guitar work is tight. I love the way the bass line follows the rhythm.  I also really like the change in the bridge. 

The only suggestion I could possibly give is to back off the volume on the vocals a bit or add a little more reverb to them.

Oh yeah and upgrade to windows XP  :D

Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed listening!

-Phil

Spectrum GT

Thanks for the tips. About style i'm part of the Cream/Deep Purple generation. Musically speaking the needle on my turntable got stuck in '73 or there abouts and has been jumping tracks ever since...my greatest influence  was irelands late great Rory Gallagher - while he was an extraordinay guitarist i remember him most for the passion and enthusiasm he had for his music on stage - if only i had a fraction of that i would have given up my day job years ago!!

About the vocals.. i still can't seem to get it the way i want it - with vocals sitting 'up front' and more presence.. gonna try experimenting with the mic effects for my next one...
Al

alitivity

I sang for a guy named David Neil Cline back in the early 90s around the Detroit area. He was a big Rory fan, and we did a remake of the song Follow Me. I always enjoyed singing that tune.

guitarron

Rory was awesome for sure

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Indiana

Great job.

Rhythm arrangement is great too; you must of spent a good deal of time getting that tuned in.
<><

Spectrum GT

To be honest dont know the first thing about drums but i have a method..I plan arrangement out on bit of paper with measures on left and key events (verse,change to chorus etc) on right. These are usually in blocks of 4-8 measures so i use v1 / v2 for measures 1-3/1-7 and then a fill F1/F2 on last measure before the change. It usually works. but beware i have noticed that some of the fills are 2 measures long which complicates it cause you only get the change in rythmn in the 2nd bar....