bad things come in 3's

Started by s.w.goatlips, March 13, 2010, 06:35:12 AM

s.w.goatlips

This morning I drove an hour and a half to the city because one of the major music retailers (guitars, amps etc) sent me an "invite" to their once a year "warehouse" sale. I didn't end up buying much but I did get a new chorus pedal. Not exactly the one I wanted, but it was pretty cheap. Anyways, got home just after midday, plugged in... and it does not bloody work. I was a trifle peeved.
After arranging a refund telephonically, I decided to do a bit on the MBR, and the guitar input seems to be faulty. It's making crackles and farts in my ears every time I push a button and if I wiggle the input jack a little bit it stops. Anyone heard of this?
Thirdly, there is a noisy little bastard of a cricket hiding somewhere in my recording room. Try doing vocals with a fucking cricket chirping away in the bacground! I'm stuffed if I know how Buddy Holly put up with it!
Frustration is my middle name.

jacjrd

Ithink I might have a solution for your noisy input jack. Have you tried using switch cleaner? Here in South Africa we have a product called "Servisol" but I guess any good switch cleaner will work. (You can buy it at any electronics shop). Just spray into the jack and leave it for a few minutes (while you look for the cricket!!!) By the looks of things it sounds like a "dry joint" to me. Hope it solves your problem!!!

OsCKilO

Sure it aint the lead rather than the gear?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

s.w.goatlips

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's not the lead. I tried two. (Unless they're both cactus!)
What exactly is switch cleaner made of? I've never heard of it. ( I obviously have filthy switches, heh heh ), Can you really spray something into the input safely?

64Guitars

Quote from: s.w.goatlips on March 13, 2010, 06:35:12 AMthe guitar input seems to be faulty. It's making crackles and farts in my ears every time I push a button and if I wiggle the input jack a little bit it stops. Anyone heard of this?

You'll probably find that one of the solder connections on the jack has separated, making it intermittent. See this topic for instructions and photos that show you how to open your Micro BR and re-solder the connections.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=4676.msg57289#msg57289

If the connections are okay, it's possible that the jack itself is broken. You should be able to find a replacement at an electronics shop and change it yourself (assuming you're handy with a soldering iron).

QuoteThirdly, there is a noisy little bastard of a cricket hiding somewhere in my recording room. Try doing vocals with a fucking cricket chirping away in the background! I'm stuffed if I know how Buddy Holly put up with it!

Instead of cursing the cricket, you should find a way to use him in your song.  ;)
Check out "My Cricket" by Leon Russell from his 1972 album "Carney". It's a great song and features a chirping cricket throughout it. I couldn't find it on YouTube except for a live version that doesn't have the cricket chirps. You need to listen to the studio version from "Carney".

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

s.w.goatlips

Thanks 64g's. I've looked at the link. Very helpful. I've welded trucks and excavators in my time, but I've never touched a soldering iron, and I suspect busting out my neighbours arc welder might be a bit rash. I'll take it to my local t.v. repair guy.
With the cricket problem, I actually feel a little guilty after reading your post, because I now have a little black corpse out the back door.
Thanks for the tip.

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

s.w.goatlips

Thanks again 64. Yes, I went and had a listen. It's good, but now I have cricket envy.
I had to go to the city a few days ago so I took the MBR back to where I bought it. It's still under warranty. Only trouble is that they said it could be a few weeks to fix. Nevermind.
I'm sort of a bit loathe to 'fess this up, but I have had a gas attack recently and bought a br600 'cause I wanted the faders, so I'm not recorderless. (it was cheap on E-bay).
This has brought with it a new learning phase of course. And I don't like a lot of the effects on it, so naturally I'll have to go and buy as many foot pedals as I can lay my hands on.(heh heh).

64Guitars

The BR-600's patches can be edited to anything you like and saved in the User or Song bank. For example, if you like the Micro BR's preset patches, why not recreate them in the BR-600? This document has all the settings:

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/Docs/Micro_BR_Preset_Effect_Patches.pdf

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

s.w.goatlips

Thankyou 64guitars. Now THAT is REALLY useful.