"Jodie Foster (Housecleaning)" original by Ted

Started by Ted, March 11, 2010, 10:34:30 PM

Rickocaster

Quote from: Ted on March 16, 2010, 12:02:48 PMThanks! There's no horn part there.  (Was it one of your songs where I once heard nonexistent horns?  Are you making fun of me?)

I could have sworn I heard a horn patch on the dotted quarter/eighth note riff, but after listening again I guess its a guitar patch.  Or is it a keyboard? Are my ears really that bad?  Will someone please answer that darn phone?!
http://www.youtube.com/rickocaster
Come on, you know you want to go there...

Ted

Quote from: j.g. on March 16, 2010, 01:22:34 PMLove this one. Very much like the Clash song "Should I stay or should I go" - this song had a change in tempo in the middle and then reverted to the slower tempo.

D'oh!  Well, at least I made it five days before anyone mentioned Should I Stay or Should I Go.  I used to play bass on that song in a cover band.  The similarity was not intentional, but I eventually noticed, and I very consciously developed the bass to reduce the chance of being called out on it.  Busted.

Quote from: oldrottenhead on March 16, 2010, 12:05:28 PMhey ted before you go all boscko on us, you must watch walkabout and write a verse for jenny agutter

What part of "Somebody stop me" don't you understand, ORH?  I'm trying to suppress my inner Boscko and move on!  I am strong.  I can do this. (But I still might rent Walkabout.)

Quote from: Rickocaster on March 16, 2010, 01:45:15 PMAre my ears really that bad?  Will someone please answer that darn phone?!

:) Don't feel bad. It was a nonexistent accordion that I once heard on a song by fenderbender. 
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

j.g.

Sorry  -  wasn't being critical  -  I love the Clash song but I prefer yours. Yours has the humour, the memory jerkers within the lyrics, and a rawness and originality all of its own, so don't take any notice of what I say. I just wish I could have been in one of those punk bands.

Ted

Quote from: j.g. on March 16, 2010, 02:30:44 PMSorry  -  wasn't being critical  -  I love the Clash song but I prefer yours. Yours has the humour, the memory jerkers within the lyrics, and a rawness and originality all of its own, so don't take any notice of what I say. I just wish I could have been in one of those punk bands.

Don't worry.  The Should I Stay comparison was almost inevitable, so no offense taken.  I was kidding myself thinking that I could throw you all off the scent with a bass line--but it was worth a try.

BTW: "Memory jerker" is a great expression.  I'd never heard it before.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Today I was thinking about this song, and had a musical memory that was just out of reach.  The end of each verse has a descending melody, and it reminded me of something...  

something something heart...

A cartoon...?

something something heart something something brand new start

Oh shit!  Bump in the Night

Plus my lyrics refer to being torn apart.

Okay, so you combine Should I Stay Or Should I Go with Bump In The Night, a Saturday morning cartoon, and you get Jodie Foster.

Oh well.

Bump in the Night was awesome.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ferryman

It happens. I was playing my wife a rough draft of the song I have spent months working on and she said "oh, it sounds very 80s, like the Psychedelic Furs". I realized that I had just rewritten "Sister Europe" by the Furs. Oh well, sometimes these influences can be too, well, influential. Jodie Foster is still a great song, just don't be surprised if you get sued when it goes mega-platinum.......

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Ferryman on March 20, 2010, 08:25:05 AMjust don't be surprised if you get sued when it goes mega-platinum.......

Maybe I could get sued by Jodie Foster!  I might get to meet her.  Oh Oh Oh, that would be awesome!

Seriously, my song is so full of musical cliches, I think it's lawsuit proof.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

hooper

A very creative and entertaining creation!  Love the way the instruments perfectly match the level of seriousness of the lyrics.  Well done!
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Saijinn Maas

Back to listen again...  Yep! Still awesome! 

Nelson

Very entertaining. The difference between a hilarious song and a stupid song is in the details. The music still has to carry the song and the lyrics must paint the picture. And you did both, very well.
I especially liked the shopping trip with your buddy, verse.
Just too funny.
Outstanding job
-Nelson
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600