file sharing and other naughty Napsters.

Started by s.w.goatlips, March 11, 2010, 02:48:42 PM

s.w.goatlips

In the interest of getting "newbie" off my profile, I just thought of a post that I think is worthy of some discussion, and is relevant to this site.
I just got the latest copy of Australian Guitarist which contains an article about file sharing and how it is "heavily affecting U.K. record sales". There is one little bit, pertinent I think, that contends that most people don't bat an eyelid when it comes to nicking a track here or there, but would never consider shoplifting a cd or dvd. Personally, I've never done it because I like buying cds', the whole package thing and actually having something I can hold appeals to me far more than just a file on an i-pod ( which I don't own.).
How do you folks feel about this? Is file sharing etc really going to destroy a large part, or all, of the industry? Do musicians deserve to get paid for their toil?
Frustration is my middle name.

OsCKilO

Just found This on Youtube...

It doesn't express my view.... But I Like it..... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7axyrHWDQ

"The Man" is angry!!!  Beware !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Flash Harry

Would that be 'Da Man?'

I noticed that the people behind one of the big torrent sites are being charged with secondary copyright theft, that is making theft possible for others.

Better not leave your doors open folks.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

s.w.goatlips

or was it made by some clever smart arse to ease their own conscience.?
Frustration is my middle name.

Gritter

Quote from: s.w.goatlips on March 11, 2010, 02:48:42 PMPersonally, I've never done it because I like buying cds', the whole package thing and actually having something I can hold appeals to me far more than just a file on an i-pod ( which I don't own.).
How do you folks feel about this? Is file sharing etc really going to destroy a large part, or all, of the industry? Do musicians deserve to get paid for their toil?

I love to CD shop as well...enjoy the packaging and deciding on how to spend...the music becomes much more special to me. I don't own an ipod or MP3 player either, though my daughter has 2 MP3 players. I upload a lot of my CDs to her player.

Having said that, I do credit file sharing to finding great unsigned or obscure artists that wouldn't be found in the local HMV CD shop.

Great free music through sites like this is saving me a heck of a lot of cash I used to spend on CDs!

cuthbert

I prefer CDs and other physical formats to a point - until like now, when I've got too dang many of them! CDs, LPs, DVDs, etc. :D

I have, on occasion, downloaded an mp3 or two. If I like the music, I buy a CD which I then rip and listen to on my iPod. If I don't like what I downloaded, it's deleted and gone.

But I gots to have me an iPod...  :)

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

OsCKilO

Quote from: s.w.goatlips on March 11, 2010, 04:57:35 PMor was it made by some clever smart arse to ease their own conscience.?

Has someone stolen one of  your songs?

You seem very passionate about this...

Personally, I only listen to music from this site....
And dont listen to copied music....

But if I was a big time signed artist and someone wanted to listen to my tune (Copied or not), I would be flattered ....

For anyone to earn Millions of pounds for a few hours work (as someone would for selling a hit record) is disgraceful!!!

There is something very wrong with the world when someone can be so rich for such little work...

I think that in the near future, the only money to be made from Music will be from Live performances....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

And The Majority of the Music is made by a Minority of people/producers and artists in this day and age...

I hate Lining the pockets of a Monopoly....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

And I define an Honest days work as this...

I Quote the Book of Tempest...

Quote from: henwrench on January 20, 2010, 04:04:52 PMNever forget, when The Beatles were doing Hamburg and no one had ever heard of them, they played 12 hours+ a day for about 6 months...

henwrench

That deserves a wedge of Money...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR