Vocals from BR on your headphone

Started by lexman, March 10, 2010, 12:51:26 PM

lexman

Hi all,

When recording a song, I always use a headphone (guess most of you do  ???)
Recording guitar, bass, editing drum, I all can hear loud and clear.

But....
When I want to record the vocals, headphone on my head hearing the song that I want to sing in,
I have problem hearing me vocals, not that they are that good but to me it's tough to sing, without
hearing myself, in the right tone.

Sometimes I lift  the headphones on 1 of my ears to hear in one ear the song and in the other my vocals
but this is not optimal.

Anyone an idea how I can do this better.

Regards,
Alex

Oldrottenhead

i am going to assume that you are using the onboard mic and know how adjust the input levels etc. if thats not the case we can go over that  later.

i also like to hear myself singing when recording, usually i can hear myself, but on some occassions the music might be too loud its hard to hear my voice above it, so i turn down the levels of the music i am singing over, once i have recorded my vocal i can remix everything to suit how i want it to sound. another thing i have found that makes it hard to hear is when there isnt space for a vocal due to how the tracks are panned, so when im recording my own music i always leave space in the middle for a lead vocal.

if i am singing over someone elses work i would ask the people involved to remix.

if you are singing to a backing track obviously that cant be done. but if you are make sure you pan the tracks full left and right or everything will be in the middle in mono right where you want your voice. hope that is of some help.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

s.w.goatlips

I find that headphones can really get in the way when doing vocals. What I hear in the cans is often quite different to what comes out of the speakers. (I have alluded somewhere else to my deafness paranoia). Obviously, you can't do vox without the phones, so to compensate I only have them covering one ear...not both. That way I can still hear how tone-deaf I am when I sing.
Frustration is my middle name.