reel to reel

Started by Boognish, March 01, 2010, 05:53:32 PM

Migs

How many virtual tracks do those Teacs run?
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

64Guitars

No virtual tracks, of course, but I think you could record 3 mono tracks and mix them down to the 4th track. Then you could record over the first 3 tracks with 3 new tracks. Repeat until the tape hiss is unbearable (doesn't take long).

If you wanted stereo, you'd need an additional 2-track recorder for mastering. Record 4 tracks, then record the stereo mix to the 2-track machine. Now copy those two tracks back to the 4-track machine and add two more tracks. Repeat. The principal is the same as bounce mode in the Micro BR except the BR uses virtual tracks instead of a second recorder. But the same thing is happening. You're recording the stereo mix of four tracks to another two tracks, then adding two more tracks and repeating the process.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Boognish

64Guitars...

yes, mine is a TEAC A-1500-W.  It only records two tracks one way, then two the other.  The manual talks about "monophonic four-track recording."  It says that the normal order of track usage is 1,4,2,3.  Would this mean that I actually can only record two tracks over each other?  This is all a bit confusing since I don't yet have any tape to record on.  

Okay to cover.

lg

Nice find! $25 well spent I'm sure.....
I can hardly wait to hear what you'll record with this gem!
I am a fan of your stuff....
By the way, when are you going to post the missing Chicago tracks?
Rock on!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

SteveB

BGH - I think what you have there is a (inflated?) stereo recorder. Record one instrument per track, pan wide = stereo. Turn over the tape = ditto. I suppose you could record a drum machine and live guitar etc onto one track, and then (possibly?) bounce that track down to the other while recording a third instrument/vocal etc. Good luck with your endeavours. Though I have to be honest and thank the gods for Digital Recorders.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

64Guitars

Quote from: Boognish on March 03, 2010, 07:24:38 AM64Guitars...

yes, mine is a TEAC A-1500-W.  It only records two tracks one way, then two the other.  The manual talks about "monophonic four-track recording."  It says that the normal order of track usage is 1,4,2,3.  Would this mean that I actually can only record two tracks over each other?  This is all a bit confusing since I don't yet have any tape to record on.

It sounds like an ordinary stereo recorder like my Sony. If so, its record head would only have two head gaps. When you record the tape in one direction, the two head gaps record tracks 1 (left) and 3 (right). When you flip the tape reels to record in the other direction, the same two head gaps will now record tracks 2 and 4 because the tape is upside down.

A true 4-track recorder has a head with four inline head gaps. That way, you can record to any of the four tracks in one direction. It would also have four VU meters, level controls, etc.

I have no idea what they mean by "monophonic four-track recording". I looked for the manual online but couldn't find it (other than many for sale). If you find it online, let me know and I'll be able to give you better advice. Or, if you have a scanner, you could scan relevant pages and send them to me. For example, the page about "monophonic four-track recording".

You know what... while reading this back, it just dawned on me what they probably mean by "monophonic four-track recording". If you wanted to record a very long speech or interview, for example, where you didn't need stereo, you could use one track at a time to record in mono. You'd start by recording to the left channel only (track 1). When the tape runs out, you'd flip it and continue recording to the left channel only. This time the same head gap would be positioned over the track 4 portion of the tape. When the tape runs out, you'd flip it again and switch to the right channel. This allows you to record to track 3. When the tape runs out again, you flip it once more to record to track 2. Now you've recorded to all 4 tracks but the recording is mono so you would only play back one track at a time.

If I'm right about this, then you can't do multitrack recordings with the A-1500-W. But you might want to use it for mastering. Just connect the stereo Line Out from your BR to the stereo Line In of the A-1500-W and record the mix to tape.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Boognish

I think you are right about the monophonic recording.  One feature this reel to reel does have is two "add" buttons.  These are the instructions for use:

By using ADD button of the RECORD SELECTOR switch, it is possible to copy an existing recording on track 1 (channel A) to track 3 (channel B) or vice versa while adding an additional signal.  This is a particularly useful function for such applications as "sound-on-sound" or "sound-on-sound-on-sound....." recordings and is limited only by the users' imagination. 

A.  Press record channel A.
B.  Connect microphone to channel A jack.
C.  Load tape (duh).
D.  Switch monitor to source.
E.  Press REC, and sing melody for recording on track 1.
F.  Rewind and stop at beginning of recording.
G.  Press Record, ADD 1 position.
H.  Connect microphone to channel B jack.
I.  Switch monitor to TAPE. 
J.  Press REC, Make recording on track 3 by singing harmony to original on track 1 heard in headphone (left ear).

NOTE:  The composite recording may now be replayed on Channel B.  If the results are not satisfactory, a second or third "take" may be made, since the original solo on track 1 has been preserved. 
  If additional recording is desired over track 3 recording, select REC, ADD 2.  A composite signal can now be recorded on track 1 by using channel B amplifier and controls.

Okay to cover.

Boognish

I guess this is similar to bouncing and merging, I can only use two tracks at a time.  I can keep adding to track 1 via track 3, but once I have put it onto track 1 it is set.
Okay to cover.

Boognish

As far as mastering, I think I will only use the Reel-to-reel as a player.  I am hoping to get some odd/unique sounds from it and then send the line out to my MicroBR for mastering, and uploading.
Okay to cover.