reel to reel

Started by Boognish, March 01, 2010, 05:53:32 PM

Boognish

anyone ever used a 4-track reel-to-reel recorder?  I just got one at a thrift store, and I hope I can use it and make it worth the $25 I spent on it.  If anyone has any tips or just general input, that would be grrrreat.

Thanks...

AB
Okay to cover.

launched

Dude, I've never owned one, but reel to reels are killer for the original flanging effect. From what I read, you lightly press the palm of your hand on the spool flange where the tape is coming out - It doesn't take much pressure at all.

It would be perfect for drums or a light airy guitar flange. If you listen to the tune Stage III from the Kyuss Wretch album you can get the idea of what you can do. The effect is all over the place, but from 2:12 on it gets wild in places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOqwvoizg0Q

I'm sure there are other things you can do with a reel to reel - I wish I had it, lucky devil!!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Migs

very oldskool

Which reminds me ... I was rummaging through some old stuff in the garage at my mother's place on the weekend and found a casette that I really want to listen to.  I got it home, only to realise that I no longer own a tape deck.  Next weekend I am going to wander around some garage sales and get me a sony walkman.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Oldrottenhead

hi boogy, i used to get access to a reel to reel in days long gone. but the guy who owned it would set it up for me. i was a similar process to record on once it was set up. but effects pedals etc  where not built in so they had to be plugged in, i recall wires going everywhere but the resulting recordings where good.

i'm sure 64guitars or someone will point you in the right direction. like migs i have lots of old cassettes with nothing to play them on. i need to hit a car boot sale methinks.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Boognish

thanks guys... as of now i have no tape, but my pack-rat dad has a bunch of old ones (he never throws anything away) and i will get them soon... so the recording will begin shortly!
Okay to cover.

Torren61

If it's a tube based reel-to-reel you have a potentially very cool low-watt stereo guitar amplifier.  My guess is that the tubes would be EL84 tubes.  I recently traded a Roberts reel-to-reel that was stereo tube based for the labor to build my custom guitar amp.  I gave $5 for the Roberts.

OsCKilO

I can't wait to see what You come up With!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Greeny

Never tried a reel to reel, but I'm hoping you can wring some cool retro analogue magic out of it. That's an inspired buy!

64Guitars

I still have my Sony TC-377 which I bought in the early '70s.

It records 4 tracks, but not in the same direction. When you say you got a 4-track reel-to-reel recorder, do you mean something like the TEAC 2340 which records all four tracks in the same direction and allows you to monitor previously-recorded tracks while recording new ones? What's the make and model of your recorder?

I haven't used a 4-track like the TEAC 2340, but I've made several recordings on an Ampex 8-track with 1" tape.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Boognish on March 01, 2010, 05:53:32 PMIf anyone has any tips or just general input, that would be grrrreat.

Clean the heads and tape path with Q-Tips and Isopropyl Alcohol. A head demagnetizer is a good idea too but they're probably hard to find nowadays.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website