Charting the Beatles

Started by Torren61, March 01, 2010, 03:23:16 PM

Torren61

Exploration of Beatles music through infographics (ongoing project)
These visualizations are part of an extensive study of the music of the Beatles. Many of the diagrams and charts are based on secondary sources, including but not limited to sales statistics, biographies, recording session notes, sheet music, and raw audio readings.

http://www.mikemake.com/#72772/Charting-the-Beatles

This will interest Beatle music lovers.

Gritter

Interesting, though somebody has way too much time on his hands.

Geir

no no .. don't be !!

I'm really enjoying this kinda stuff !!! And it will help me when I'm gonna build the Beatles-song-generator !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Torren61

Well, if you look at each chart in the larger windows, it tell which song was written by whom and what percentage each member contributed to which track. 

The other chart is maybe a bit silly in that I think it's talking about references to past songs in other songs but the last chart shows what percentage of songs per album were written in which key.  I think that's kinda cool because if there's a particular album that you like more than another album, the reason might be because of the key of the songs... of course, that might not be the reason at all.

SteveB

TRN61 - Yep, it's certainly interesting. Of course there's the nagging question of 'Can these charts be verified?' You can bet yer bottom-dollar that other's will dispute some of these claims. However, someone's gone through a lot of work to produce this, and so they should be commended.  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Torren61

Authorship and Collaboration
This graph (based on authorial attributions quantified by William J. Dowlding in the book Beatlesongs) traces songwriting contributions within the band.

Greeny

I love it! I'm a data planner though. Graphical representations of data are my bread and butter, lol

Geir

Quote from: Greeny on March 02, 2010, 06:49:46 AMI love it! I'm a data planner though. Graphical representations of data are my bread and butter, lol
I'm a sucker for good graphics too.

Have you read the books of Edward R. Tufte ? "Envisioning Information" is one of them, Brilliant read for those interested in presenting lots of data, what traps not to fall in and the beauty and the art it can be if done right.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

Quote from: Geir on March 02, 2010, 07:24:27 AM
Quote from: Greeny on March 02, 2010, 06:49:46 AMI love it! I'm a data planner though. Graphical representations of data are my bread and butter, lol
I'm a sucker for good graphics too.

Have you read the books of Edward R. Tufte ? "Envisioning Information" is one of them, Brilliant read for those interested in presenting lots of data, what traps not to fall in and the beauty and the art it can be if done right.

It certainly is an art. I've tried to convince people of that for years, lol. Not everyone believes it though... !