Use of Garageband

Started by The Gobi Desert Canoe Club, March 01, 2010, 09:09:15 AM

Sorry if you've dealt with this in the past but can data from a BR900cd be exported to Garageband on a Mac. The reason I ask is, I Know how to edit in Garageband and I'm finding the Mastering process on the BR900 eluding me at the moment. I suspect data needs to be converted into wav files but I'm sure if I'm wrong one of you guys will put me right. Thank you in anticipation. Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Boognish

I use garage band a lot, and I have an M-Audio Fast Track for my mac.  It has a 1/4 inch input and an XLR input and then connects to the computer via USB port.  This might be necessary for your situation, I have used it to bounce recordings from the MicroBR.  I don't know about the BR900, but I'm sure it has a 1/4 inch output, so this would work.  the fast track or comparable device will run about $100, but I have gotten a ton of use out of mine.
Okay to cover.

dwardzala

You can use GarageBand or any other PC/Mac DAW software with the BR900 (or any other BR for that matter.)

You need to download and convert you BR files to .WAVs on the computer.  I recommend the BR Wave Converter found here: http://www.bossus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.php?FileName=BRWC200.zip

Then you just import the files into separate tracks in garageband and mix and master to taste.

Hope this helps.
Dave

BR-600

Thanks guys, this is about the most helpful and friendly group I've found in a long while. Hope to spend some time working out your suggestions in the next couple of days. I've downloaded the file convertor and I already had an Edirol interface so looks like I'm in business.Thank you. Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

dwardzala's advice is the best route to take, the wav editor transfers the tracks as they are on your br in seconds, using a line out means there might be a derioration in the sound quality.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Boognish

Quote from: oldrottenhead on March 02, 2010, 08:21:56 AMdwardzala's advice is the best route to take, the wav editor transfers the tracks as they are on your br in seconds, using a line out means there might be a derioration in the sound quality.

very true... you are basically losing a generation if you use the line out method.  If you can use the actual file, do it mayn.
Okay to cover.

64Guitars

I agree that the BR Wave Converter is the best way to export your tracks. But, just so you know all the options, you can also export your tracks directly from the BR-900 to your Mac via USB. It's not as fast or user-friendly as the BR Wave Converter but you should give it a try anyway. See pages 176 and 177 of the BR-900CD Owner's Manual, 6th edition.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website