Getting the right mix in the master - science or art?

Started by Spectrum GT, August 07, 2008, 04:38:40 AM

Spectrum GT

Just got my BR last week and really delighted with it but can anyone give some advice (or links) on how to get a good balanced mix in the mastering process as the faders seem to be all over the place at the moment - just cant get a cohesive sound between the 4 tracks.

I usually record drum arrangement with guitar on T1, bass T2 and vocals T4 with T3 for odd bits, recording with input level as near 100 as possible withover the 'over' light flashing (as recommended) and normal input with separate effect on each channel.

I would like to know if anyone has managed to get a mix that they are proud of straight out of the BR without using computer software and if so what process did they follow along the way!

Thanks

SteveG

Leave your vocals in the middle, and pan your bass and guitar left and right, try about 30 each way for decent separation without sounding TOO far apart. If you are using the other track, pan that away from the rest so it does not interfere. Now set your levels, will be easier with the parts panned as you will hear them properly! Press EXIT and UTILITY together twice to get to the mastering screen. Start playback, press the effects button, and scroll through the various mastering effects 'till you find one you like. You will need to reset the levels, and apply reverb to taste. Hit record and master to MP3 / WAV! Keep an eye on the level meters at all times to avoid clipping, even if you have managed to record without clip it is easy to introduce it here if you ovedrive a track. Quick runthrough, but should get you started .. assuming I understood the question!

There are guides, but I dont know where, links on the site somewhere...

Spectrum GT

Thanks for tip, will give it a go though it seems to me the final mix is as much about personal taste than anything else. I was hoping to be a little more objective in the process....

SteveG

Here's a link to a quite detailed overview on mastering. Be warned it is quite overwhelming!! Not very well organised as it is made up from tips and info from various members of the site, but a lot of useful information to be found.

http://www.guitarblast.com/showthread.php?t=5933

64Guitars

Quote from: Spectrum GT on August 07, 2008, 04:38:40 AMcan anyone give some advice (or links) on how to get a good balanced mix

Check out the Library page of my website.

Also, there are several books available on the subject.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveG

That looks a very useful resource, look forward to checking all them links when I have more time. Thanks for posting!!