Satriani vs coldplay, what do you think?

Started by bannybassman, February 25, 2010, 01:16:17 PM

bannybassman

You've probably all heard about the plagiarism allegations surrounding Joe Satriani's If I could fly and Coldplay's Viva la Vida. I know It's a subject that people feel strongly about, so allow me to start the argument...

As a dedicated Satriani fan it seems clear to me that coldplay have copied the song, the chord structures are virtually identical, as are the melody lines.

But what do you think?

vs

"A guitarist spends half his life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune"

Gritter

I'm listening to Satriani's song for the first time now...(I never got into guitar soloing instrumental technique showcasing...but I apreciate his talent).

Yes it sounds like Coldplay's Viva La Vida...but I also must say that I like Coldplay's song way better. It has a vocal melody that's all it's own and emotion that is lacking in Satriani's song.

chapperz66

I tend to think that Viva Dolcelatte is pretty much a direct copy of If I Could Fly.  Only without the talent.

Saijinn Maas

It think it's obviously copied. Now, whether it was strictly intentional... who knows. We've all, at one time or another get melodies stuck in our head, only to find out later it was some song we heard in passing... or at least I do. :)

Although it is common for two songs to have similar chord progressions, or even "similar" melody lines, (It's surprising how many songs you can play to the standard "Angel Baby" progression) it is rather rare for two songs to have similar chord progression AND melody lines. When hearing both songs over top one another, they sound near identical.

Gritter

Saij my man...so well put - you are a diplomat! I was feeling things might get ugly for me being in the minority who like the Coldplay song better.

launched

Ahh, the subject rears it's ugly head again! I think Coldplay is a big enough band where somebody along the chain should have caught it - The best in the business most likely had their hands on it in some way. I'm not sure it was done intentionally, though - Artists like that would be too proud. Not a huge fan of Cold Play, but they put out some noteworthy and creative music.

This was talked about before - Some other cool bands like Killing Joke and Foo Fighters have been in the middle of this type of controversy.

Check it out!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Migs

Quote from: launched on February 25, 2010, 02:02:36 PMThis was talked about before - Some other cool bands like Killing Joke and Foo Fighters have been in the middle of this type of controversy.

Men at work got done for plaigarism here a few weeks ago.
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/judge-finds-men-work-plagiarized-part-flute-riff/story?id=9753045

Oh, and I thought Coldplay was way too close to the Satriani tune.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

launched

Quote from: Migs on February 25, 2010, 03:17:07 PMMen at work got done for plaigarism here a few weeks ago.

Quite disturbing, considering that it isn't your average forgettable song. A classic that is recognized by almost everyone in the modern free world. I suppose justice should be served, but I hope the 70's prog rockers "borrowing" ideas from the musical geniuses of the past aren't next!

Vanilla Ice, Foo Fighters, Coldplay and Nirvana were rooted out in weeks. However, I did see that the rights to Marion Sinclair's folk song were recently sold (Larrikin Music Publishing). I'm assuming they noticed the similarities and made the purchase based on the opportunity to collect 27 years worth of royalties.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover