Songcrafters.org needs a new owner

Started by Pedro, February 23, 2010, 07:30:34 AM

Saijinn Maas

Blooby IS right... And I for one, apologize for my tone. Now that I am a bit more clam, I should explain my remarks.

I totally understand being overworked, rising costs, and no longer having the time or drive to continue running a site. My problem was with the refusal to allow someone else to take it over. There is a lot of good information on this site just to have it wiped out.

I've belonged to many music and guitar sites, and I've always eventually stopped going, after never posting more than a dozen times. This was the first site I felt at home... maybe even a little too much at times ;)

I've spending as much time as possible retrieving any music here that I do not have. Things I've worked on, stuff by all of you, etc. I'd really hate to see all of this go.

I hope to see EVERYONE at Tony's site. This community is not about Songcrafters or microrecorders or whatever... It's about us. Where ever we go, there we are...

Tony W

Blooby, You are the man. I have the utmost respect for that post.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on February 23, 2010, 01:11:18 PMFrankly, if I were Pedro and read some of the venom being spit right now, I wouldn't even consider an option.  There's some real ugliness manifesting itself with a handful of members.

I suggest a deep breath before we hear back from Pedro.  If he decides to fold the tent, so be it.  Let's be thankful for what the site represented and either move on or come up with an alternative, rather than berating the person who brought us together in the first place.

Well said Blooby. I agree 100%. Pedro deserves the respect and gratitude of every member here. I'm as shocked as everyone about this bad news but we shouldn't vent our frustration on the man who created this site and financed it entirely on his own for our benefit.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Yeah, I'm with you on that one, too, Bloob. And you too, 64.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

well said bruce, gawd i'm gonna miss this place, in my state of shock and awe i forgot to pay my thanks and gratitude to 64guitars he helped me with my first baby steps and now we are currently collaborating on a song, ironically its an unplugged version of jon and vangelis' "somehow i'll find my way home", the guy is a never ending source of information and inspiration, i got you on my email list both you guys so no escaping me, unless you got mailwasher.

thanks 64

and you to blooby

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ted

I hope my earlier post isn't considered one of the venomous ones.  I just truly can't make any sense of the decision.

Here's the thing:

This is a successful online community.

I've even encouraged colleagues of mine who aren't musicians to check this out, and try to figure out the secret formula.

There are about 280 members of this community who have submitted 10 or more posts.

If this were a start-up company, this should be the point where the entrepreneur (considered a genius) hands over managerial control to a competent (but less brilliant) manager.  And then the stock price would go up.  If the entrepreneur decided instead to shutter the place, the shareholders would be justifiably upset and likely sue.

We're not shareholders, but we are stakeholders.  We have not put up money, but we have contributed to the success of the community, we have a stake in its continuation, and we will be affected by its loss.

If indeed the lights go out on March 1, life will go on.  But I may never understand why weren't allowed to take success for an answer.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Mach

Sad news indeed. I haven't been here long but I sensed the camaraderie between the members after only a few days of reading post. I would guess many here at Songcrafters not only come here for music and building friendships, but to have a place they can come to get away from "real" life struggles. A place you can go to relieve the stress of the day. A place you go where everybody knows your name.

I understand it takes a lot of time to maintain a community based website, but for an abrupt decision such as this it goes deeper than just a time issue. There's nothing that has been done that can't be fixed. If there's a will there's a way. Pedro, you mentioned deleting all the post on the site. Why would you want to delete all the great music and information everyone has shared to help others. Even if the site does not stay active why dispose of all the hard work to surrender the helm.

Anyway, like I said I am still fairly new to the site but I believe the Veteran members who made this site deserve an adequate explanation of why their community is being up heaved so suddenly.

I will miss this place. I was just starting to get to know some of you and your musical qualities.

Gary (Mach)
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Folks, I get that we are all taking this in our own way, but realistically Pedro owes us nothing compared to what we owe him. Mark (Launched) helped me see that light.

I do not believe that this has been a sudden decision on Pedro's part but something that has been coming on for a while.

While we will all lose something in this, we should take a step back and look at what we all gained. Hell, I'm a musician now! I was a jerkoff before, so I have gained more than I have ever given.

I hope you all find happiness on your paths. If they lead my way, then I hope this happiness continues.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Maverick31

Sad news, but I understand. For the short time that I've been involved with this community, I really enjoyed myself. It was a pleasure to know you guys, along with listening to all of your great music.
I've just registered under the same username to Tony's site, so I hope to see you guys there... if Tony is cool about it.
"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead."
-Layne Staley

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR