Are you a working musician?

Started by Farmjazz, August 03, 2008, 09:39:24 AM

Farmjazz

Just curious how many on this forum are in working bands, or teaching, or working in a music store, etc. Are you out there sharing your music in your community or touring?

tackium

LOL. I'm a construction worker. Just having fun. I have a friend with some real talent and I've been recording him. Hopefully things will work out for him fine.

SteveG

I do teach local kids who could not otherwise have lessons, but for free 'cos I enjoy doing it. Had a couple of offers from band's, but shiftwork and family sadly don't leave time  >:(

Indiana

I play weekends regularly at church. There's no pay but the benefits will be great  ;)

rod
<><

PhilFromIT

I'm a systems analyst (fancy term for programmer) by trade. I've played solo guitar for church but nothing for pay.

guitarron

i have played in bands since a very tender age-consider myself semi retired now. I have a job that is very prohibitive towards playing out because of the days/nights and i work.
Have played full time for a quite few years in the 80's and 90's-part time since then-last band was a variety  band-played  functions more than bar gigs.
I now f8@k around mostly recording.
My interest has been in jazz the last couple of years-but played rock a whole lot as a kid. Country  Blues-Elvis tribs Cooper trib too
Since my health is now improving i'm feeling like playing out again.
Ron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

I can count on one hand the times I've played out since I became a teacher in 1991.  Now I'm an assistant principal and time is even tighter.

But...

the local music store started a "weekend warrior" program.  Basically, you sign up, notate your level of experience, what instrument you play, what kind of music you prefer, and what night you can practice.  You are placed in a "band," get four weeks of practice (once per week) in the store, and then you perform a mini-set of 4-5 tunes for the other bands and their friends and families.  It's a short obligation, and most important, it's fun.  I've done one and am looking forward to the autumn version, beginning in a couple weeks.

Working musician, though?  No, I think not. 

Do they even make spandex in my size?

Peace.

Blooby

guitarron

that sounds like a lot of fun and good way to meet of players
do some open mics here and there too

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

I played in a working classic rock band for 15 (my three brothers and a lead guitarist from San Diego) years and then stopped in the mid 90's when all members of the band got married one by one (including myself).  Wives didn't like the club gigging thing at all.  We played a few clubs and at the EM and NCO clubs on the Camp Pendleton Marine base; the money was great and greatly complemented the income from our family business.

I have a full time job now at the San Diego Data Processing Corp. so now my time is limited to playing on weekends.  We recently reformed our group and have had a couple of offers to play gigs (much to the wive's chagrin), but the days of partying and all the things that go along with being in a band are pretty much over as we are all over 50 now. Sigh......that was then, this is now.

Greeny

I do open mics and the occasional acoustic slot at local festivals, town fairs etc. It took me 37 years to get the confidence to do it, but I'm seriously in love with performing live now. Never been paid for a gig yet though, and I don't have the PA set-up to branch out on my own.

By day, I work in an advertising and digital marketing agency. All my songwriting, playing and recording has to fit around that, my son, my girlfriend, commuting, domestic chores etc. Not surprisingly, this means some very late night recording sessions and tired days at work afterwards...