How many play live

Started by pjd1, February 21, 2010, 04:04:31 AM

pjd1

I played a gig last night and i have mentioned to the lads in the band about this forum and the amount of truly remarkable talent that i have heard and enjoyed, and i was just wondering how many people have played live and how many still do , what equipment do you use and , is it still a buzz or is it just going through the motions !!  I play about once or twice a month sometimes more, and still enjoy the music and the live thing for want of a better word ,, there for me is always an element of fear !! and still get a funny feeling in my stomach about 15 mins before we play .

I use two Les pauls one a standard , the other is a Studio as back up , i still have an old Valvestate Marshall which is batterd and bruised from about 15 years of giging , i have a boss GT6 processor which i have boxed and ready to go with all the leads put in , and a shure sm 58 for backing vocals ,, I am always amazed at looking at my band members as to when where and why they took up there respected instuments and why they love them so much ..

Paul

recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Vanncad

Hey PJ - cool post. I would be interested to hear other's stores as well.

I used to play in bars usually once or twice a month across Southern Ontario (London, Sarnia, Windsor) back in the 80's and 90's.
We played at a bar on Pelee Island once (most southern community in Canada). Got free booze all weekend. It was insane. Our bass player actually passed out mid-song, fell backwards  and landed on an ice-machine. We just kept playing. The roof was leaking and dripping all over our amps, mics, etc. Miracle we didn't get killed. Good times...

Everyone in the band started having kids and the bar life had to be put on hold. Getting home at 4-5 A.M. and then up with a baby at 7 A.M. just doesn't work so well.  :(

As far as butterflies in the stomach - I used to not be able to eat for two days before a gig. I had to learn to relax and enjoy myself. A few drinks helps too  ;D

As far as equipment - I played a Washburn G-4 guitar thru a Crate or Fender head (depending on what was working at the time) going into a Crate 4x12 cab. We usually tried to play bars with their own P.A., but sometimes we would lug around our own which consisted of A Peavey 16 channel board, SP2 speakers, snake, mics, lights, etc. I can 't believe the stuff they have out now and how light it is compared to the stuff we used to haul around. I now play two Japanese guitars - a Fender Strat and Epi Les Paul. I haven't played either of these guitars on stage, so I am itching to try them out. My Bandmaster head was recently overhauled. I think it is a '68 or '69 and I have owned it for the last 25 years. It has caught on fire, been "kicked" off the cabinet, left in the cold, countless beers spilled on it, etc. and it just keeps on ticking.

I have played a few charity gigs over the last 10 years, but really didn't get back into writing music until I found this site. Lately I have been attending my friend's band jam sessions and they are playing a bar next weekend. I will probably go up and do some tunes with them. I haven't been in this bar in the last 5-6 years, so it should be fun.

I am currently trying to pull some old band mates together to form a blues-rock band, just to play some local gigs and record. I want to get into a proper studio with an actual drummer and record some of the tunes I have posted on this site.

If I could just quit work.... ::)

Sorry for the long post.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

OsCKilO

I play live these days.....

This is me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CCyqSaFLLU

I'm better these days...

Started Late last year...

I Love playing Live now..... Was scared at First... Didn't know what was in store...

I documented my Journey here...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

T.C. Elliott

I played in cover bands for a few years. Did the acoustic duo twice. Got a band together this winter and we're looking for our first gig. We do all originals as of right now.

EQ: Lots of stuff. I play a strat through a SRRI (first 4x10 combo and I like it)
We have a medium size p.a. system that the singer bought.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Glenn Mitchell

I started playing in bands in the 60's. My first band was in high school with a Canora guitar and an amp my dad made from a converted Wurlitzer juke box. The drummer played on a rubber covered piece of plywood for a snare and a metal chair for a cymbal. They friggin loved us. Taste was pretty basic in those days.
I moved up to a harmony bass thru some piece of s**t amp I don't remember in a Beatle band. (guitar and lead were taken). We killed 'em down at the Teentown  and high school dances with our 3 part harmonies. The 13 yr olds followed us around town and giggled. We secretly loved it while acting very cool and above it all.
That band got not too bad after a couple of years, even tho I continued to borrow gear and we once got so drunk before the gig we backed up over the lead guitar's ax, meaning even more borrowed gear.
I then did a ridiculously long stretch with a C&W/cover band as lead guitar and BU vox. Legions and weddings. Too many stories to even start. By then I had my current 58 jazzmaster and 66 blackfaced reverb deluxe.
The last band was a 12 pc 80's funk and Chicago clone. Too big, too disorganized and too loud for me but a worthwhile experience.
I'm thinking of getting a couple of guys together...... Lol.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

launched

I've never played live before. In garages/attics a few times, but nothing too serious. Maybe someday if I get the chance. I love this thread, because you guys tell the cool stories. 
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

lg

Me and Holdempok are in a band called x Double Cross x , and we are
playing live now in bars, etc.

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Wiley

Well I will try to make a long story short!   I started playing live when I was 18, just out of high school!  Can remember the first night. Some guy came up and pinched my knee and I thought I was going to die, I was so....scared!!   ;) The drummer was my boyfriend at the time.  Came home one day found him in bed with another girl and off I went to another band, and another bad experience and then said "Hit the Road Jack, I ain't never comin back no more no more"  So that's what I did. Played on the road for about 2 1/2 years.  Got to see a lot of places.  Ontario, Saskachewan, Alberta, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, of course Iowa. Eventually settle in Nebraska.  Then kept on playing. Thats where Tazzy and myself got together. We had an all girl band for a while. Then we both moved on and I moved to Michigan.  Started a duo with my neighbor and played at legions, VFW's that sort of thing.  Then moved  back to Iowa. Yes I dont' play live as much, But I still do!. Last summer played for the WW2 Vets going to Washington.  That was a lot of fun.  Taking my chordless mic, walking amongst them and singing to them!  And just yesterday I got to play bass with a band!.. which I can play with them most anytime they are in the area!  So....... yes I still play live, just not as often. And we are always having jams around here and get crowds so..... yes still playing live.
Probably have to die or something to quit completely!!  Well I guess that's my fast version of my story.
PJ

Greeny

I've done a lot of live stuff - open mics and acoustic stages with just me and my guitar. The more you do, the better you get. But I agree about 'the buzz'. I got it the first time I played to an audience, and it's never left. It's like a mixture of fear and excitement, and very addictive. I'd happily play live every day!

It's mainly open mics for me now, and even that is hard to fit into a busy working life.

tonyblue

I love playing live, it is the only reason that I play and parctise, but only thing is finding places to play, I'm not picky, I will play anywhere, but here is the kicker, I only play when I get paid,
I feel that it is fair, as someone will be making something out of my playing, be it a bar that hopes more will come in if you are there, or a show that sells tickets.

Yes I will play for free if it is a good caurse.

What do you all think about that, do you play for free or not ??

TonyBlue
Keep playing and getting better until you can stand the sound that you are making