Hang It Out To Dry

Started by nathanclarke, February 19, 2010, 03:58:41 AM

hank987

I think that my story is close to Ferryman's but I quit a little earlier (26) because I had had enough of the "biz". Your are obviously a pretty talented guy but as most have these folks have said, talent is just not enough. You are in the market millions of other people, what will make you stand out?

The one regret that I have is not was not willing to do everything to make it. My band opened for a band that was on a small indie label. They were "touring". What that meant is they were is a tiny camper (4 guys) in January with no heat with all there gear driving to all the shows. Was I willing to do that? Another band that I got to know through our demo distributor got signed but they had to go to Germany to go in studio. Sounds cool until they found out they had to eat and sleep in said studio. They later all got a bad foot fungus from staying in such tight quarters. Again, was I willing to do that, well deep in my heart I knew the answer was no. Will it always be like that...no..but I bet there are more stories like that then the other way around.

I think you will know when it time to give up the dream, but don't have any regrets about it. If you are willing to do whatever it takes...go for it as long as you can! Best of Luck....

SE

Was never talented enough to get anywhere in the music biz, but I can stand back and admire those who have tried. I think it,s all about levels, if you can satisfy your needs by playing local gigs, that,s all well and good, but some people need to push it further, that,s when you need to decide whether it,s all worthwhile and what makes you happy in life. Age is an important factor because life catches up with you and your priorities change, what was important in your 20,s changes and may longer be so important as you get older eg children,relationships or just the basic need to earn some money.
recorder
Boss BR-80

OsCKilO

Fame is for the few...

Local hero status is cool....

Try open Mic's....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

nathanclarke

Cheers everyone, i guess its just a matter of keeping at it, all the music goes up online anyway so what will be will be.

Nigel, you mentioned TAXI, did you ever try it out? I took a look and although It looks quite handy there seems to be a lot of costs involved.  As well as the initial sign up fee they have submission fees for each time you put a song forward, just wondering if you tried it cos i guess that'd be a good way to see if im going right.
www.myspace.com/DeadmodelsUK
www.myspace.com/nathanclarke82
www.last.fm/music/nathan+clarke

Ferryman

Yes, Hank987, looks like I've been where you have been..... One of the guys I was in a band with worked at a record label in their accounts department (he was training to be an accountant while playing in a band) and he got to know the A&R folks there. He said they would typically pick three or four good bands, offer them all a terrible deal and one of them was usually desperate enough to take it.

Quote from: nathanclarke on February 20, 2010, 04:07:34 AMNigel, you mentioned TAXI, did you ever try it out? I took a look and although It looks quite handy there seems to be a lot of costs involved.  As well as the initial sign up fee they have submission fees for each time you put a song forward, just wondering if you tried it cos i guess that'd be a good way to see if im going right.

Nathan, I didn't join Taxi but I spent a while checking it out. I thought the idea sounded great, an online business where you submit your music, get honest feedback from industry experts (typcially A&R folks) who will then pass you on to the record companies and match you up with the right company. It sounded great but when I spent time looking at the forums it became clear it is still the same old industry. The A&R folks at Taxi give random feedback which seems unjustified in many cases, the record companies just want formula stuff and the Taxi folks actually block you getting to the right people. They still have a stranglehold on the artists as they decide who gets through and many folks on the Taxi forums seemed to get very little for the money thet paid. I think if you are very commercial it may be for you but if you are trying something different it's still best to go your own way.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

rvincent55

I think it's all about the person...for me, I used to have the dreams...used to get angry when I'd hear absolute garbage on the radio, and consider how unfair it was that stuff like that was getting airplay....

Now, definitely older and (hopefully) wiser, I've become a lot more comfortable in my own skin. I define my own success as being able to hang in, remain gainfully employed in very uncertain times, and provide for my family. I have the freedom to enjoy creating and making music for the pure pleasure of doing so...the rewards are when folks I don't know take the time to listen and compliment our songs.

My friends and I (all veterans of the band days) now get together, write and record music, and we've self-released one album, with another on the way. We have no unrealistic expectations...if we make a few bucks to pay for some strings and beer, life's good! If not, we'll still continue because we're doing what we enjoy. Some guys play golf on the weekends...we play music.

That simple enjoyment, in and of itself, is perfectly pleasing to us  8)
The future isn't what it used to be...

Greeny

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 19, 2010, 05:22:18 AMcant recall his name but there was a guy in his 50s, how had a hit, he'd had no success up to that point then had a top selling album. i think terry wogan played him on bbc radio 2

Gordon Haskell?

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann