Hang It Out To Dry

Started by nathanclarke, February 19, 2010, 03:58:41 AM

nathanclarke

Something i've wondered for a long time now.  How old is too old to keep dreaming of making it in music realistically.  I used to think that 25 was the cut off, if it aint happened it wont happen but now i'm seeing bands/artists that are breaking through that are 30+.

So....When would be a realistic age to step back and say, "this aint ever gonna be a full time thing, just a hobby"?
www.myspace.com/DeadmodelsUK
www.myspace.com/nathanclarke82
www.last.fm/music/nathan+clarke

Vanncad

Hey Nathan,

Colonel Sanders started Kentucky Fried Chicken when he was 65, so I think anything is possible.

Mind-you, theren't aren't too many geriatric "boy-bands" out there, but depending on your chosen genre of music I think you could be successful at any age if you are willing (and able) to put in the hours to pursue your dream.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Oldrottenhead

cant recall his name but there was a guy in his 50s, how had a hit, he'd had no success up to that point then had a top selling album. i think terry wogan played him on bbc radio 2
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

chapperz66

Seasick Steve is even older than me!  Mind you, he has a much better beard.  I don't think I have enough years left to grow one like that....

Paul

launched

I love Kentucky Fried Chicken. Popeyes is even better. Bojangles is the cream of the crop, though.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Tangled Wires

Look at Susan Boyle (i'd rather not mind!!)  :-\

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Torren61

Quote from: launched on February 19, 2010, 06:53:24 AMI love Kentucky Fried Chicken. Popeyes is even better. Bojangles is the cream of the crop, though.

Don't forget Church's and Jack Pyrtle's (it's a Memphis thang).

Google Ted Hawkins.  My wife interviewed him.

Ferryman

When you start going to see bands and instead of asking yourself "are they better than us?" you start asking yourself "do they look older than me?". For me, I gave up around late 20s approaching 30. From the age of 11 up til then all i had wanted to do was to make it in the music business (and I tried very hard) but you have to be realistic. If you haven't got somewhere as a performing musician by your mid to late 20s it's unlikely to happen. You can take your music in different directions and still not give up hope but realistically if you have been plugging away for years playing s***holes and making no money you have to let real life take over. There are also so many unsigned acts chasing every opportunity that I'm afraid it will be much tougher the older you get.

I think a lot depends on the musical genre, if you are blues or folk for example age is less of an issue, but in the indie/rock world I'm afraid age will count. But at the end of the day if you still believe in yourself, then carry on. Consider taking a different line. Instead of wanting to "make it", consider different ways of promoting yourself and different musical outlets. But even the Internet promotion world is full of shysters. I investigated Taxi and that seems to be like the old music biz in Web 2.0 format. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss......

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

it comes down to building a fan base: work hard, network, market yourself well and tour constantly. None of which I have done.

launched

Quote from: Gritter on February 19, 2010, 02:05:45 PMit comes down to building a fan base: work hard, network, market yourself well and tour constantly.

Yeah, I think the days of selling your music are coming to an end, so I would imagine that one's focus would be to present themselves in front of the right type of audience.

For example, the band Clutch were never a big album selling band. However, they are a relentless touring machine, and their live shows are most excellent. And they sell a crapload of t-shirts and special EP recordings at the venues.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover