Darkness Paints the Sky Black - Experimental Doom/Drone

Started by begacjj, February 18, 2010, 03:51:23 PM

begacjj

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

I just recorded "Darkness Paints the Sky Black".  It is an experimental Doom/Drone type song.  Very slow with lots of effects and distortion.  Interested to here what others think about it?

It is the second song on my page below and was recorded using my Boss BR-600.

http://www.myspace.com/echosofinfiniti

SE

Heavy my friend,  really intense, can hear this in a Si/Fi movie.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Boognish

Okay to cover.

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ferryman

Experimental doom/drone? Now that's right up my street. I love the effects here, nice atmosphere created and great sounds. This could actually do with more layers of the same stuff, you could really build this into an overwhelming piece. Is most of this coming off a stereo echo effect? I'm going to check out more of your stuff.

Oops, spoke too soon, just got to the part where more guitars are coming in and it's really adding to the overall effect. Reminds me a bit of some Krautrock jams (a great favourite musical form of mine). I like your attitude and I like your style!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

begacjj

Hey, thanks guys!  Yes Nigel basically everything is coming from my Roland Chorus Echo except the distortion/Fuzz.

It does a beautiful job with the stereo imaging of the echos and the analog chorus.  I love the rawness and analog artifacts it adds.  It really creates a three dimensional sound.  It also has a feature called sound on sound which basically turns off the erase heads and allows you to basically do looping which is what you hear with the layered guitars once you get into the song a little bit. 

My approach to music is 100% improvisational, I really just hit record and start playing trying to totally let go and build otherworldly atmospheric pieces.  I have tried to go back and add other layers in the past but to me it never sounds as good.  I think part of the issue is the way I record is usually with vintage tube amps turned up to 11 so it is hard to hear what has been recorded while I am playing.   The other thing is I think some of the energy of the recording is lost when I go back and add layers.  I have a new recording technique that I used to record the last three songs I have posted on my myspace which should make it much easier to add additional layers so I will give it a try.  I am also always open to collaborations so if anybody wanted to try adding some stuff that would be cool as well.  I will have to check out some Krautrock jams are there any that you recommend?

Ferryman

Thanks for the explanation. It sounded like it was one stereo effect but you are getting a helluva a lot out of it! I love those Roland machines. I see where you are coming from with the improvisational approach and I applaud you for that. Agree that going back and adding stuff is hard, especially if you have improvised but I could really see the potential of building an even more apocalyptic soundscape with layers of different guitar effects.

Try this - I love this band, although most of the video is a "song", at about 4:00 they start to jam. They said they used to make music for the apocalypse. It's from a long time ago (when I was young) so the synth effects are a bit "basic".....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSAk1O0B6sg

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR