Religion and Forum Continuity Do Not Mix

Started by Tony W, February 17, 2010, 08:05:40 AM

OsCKilO

Strange Thread this......

One extreme (religion) to another (bewbs)......

The Wholesome and the Naughty, being challenged in the same thread.... 

LOL!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Tony W

I like wholesome, supple, and sometimes naughty.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Yes, boobs are rather wholesome, aren't they!  ;)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Wiley

QuoteYes, boobs are rather wholesome, aren't they!

Quotewholesome, supple, and sometimes naughty.

QuoteBikini clad women using it... Men in Speedos....

QuoteLet's hope this brings Wiley back...or at least gives her a chuckle!

QuoteBewbs I like in my personal life but given I am on here a lot at work, pics of them can be problematic -

and so on!!

Time:
0:00
Volume:

Tony W

Osckilo, I suppose you could at least show migs the courtesy of not posting boobs on his musical posts. I'll be sure not to. I thought he was joking about posting boobs. The thought of browsing potentially unacceptable content at the workplace never really occurred to me. I find that avoiding such content while on the clock seems to be the more practical approach.

By the way, I think I've seen every boob, butt, and body that's been posted on this forum, and I have never seen anything that I couldn't see flipping through the channels.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Migs

ahhh ... that would be a dig at me not posting my music

I see how this works.

I am not playing any more.  I am going to post only as a guest from now on.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Ted

I've been kind of scarce on the forum in recent weeks.  I haven't actually seen the religious proselytizing that prompted this topic. But I remember the Great Greeny War, and I thought at the time--and still do--that any political, or religious debate on this site should be conducted in song form.  Wouldn't that be amazing?  The Net is full of holy wars on message boards and in comments, but this forum is about songs. 

I'd like the policy be this: Say it in a song--and don't hold back.  If the song offends you, respond with a song. But if you want to start a text-based holy war, go elsewhere.

Regarding boobs on this site: I'm guilty. But for me it's become a joke that has run it's course, and now it's tiresome.  I appreciate that some people try to break the tension with a ridiculous photo, but it backfires when people feel they aren't respected or taken seriously.  (And by "people" I mean "people with boobs.")
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Geir

Quote from: Wiley on February 17, 2010, 08:16:50 PM
Time:
0:00
Volume:

so true ....

and beautifully said !! ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

Been away for a couple of days and I would like to make some serious points about this.

1. I think Dave summed it up very well. I am happy for anyone to post any kind of music and if it is about their religious faith that's fine by me. I am like Sai, a very strong atheist that is personally against all organized religion but I respect the right of people to have their own beliefs. What I do not think is acceptable is proselytizing, so we need to make it clear that posts should not do that. I find proselytizing annoying but people that hold other religious beliefs may find it antagonizing and upsetting. If people just say something like "this song is about how my faith inspires me" or "this song is about how I believe God is looking out for me", that's fine IMO. I can then choose to listen to the song if I want to, or ignore it. I have actually listened to some religiously inspired songs on the site which I have enjoyed. So no censorship but I think posters should be sensitive in the way they describe their posts so they do not cause upset. If they are not prepared to tolerate others on here who have different views, it's fair we shouldn't tolerate them. Our terms of use should explain this.

2. Same applies to political songs or those with "stronger" material. I personally wouldn't post things like that but I don't mind if others do provide they make it clear that the song might not appeal to all and do not try to get their political view across in the post describing the song. The song should speak for itself in those circumstances. If we aren't allowed to post songs about the things that we care about strongly, it will stifle creatiivity. But again we need to sensitive of the views of others.

3. Boobs. I think we do have too many. I know it's meant to be a bit if fun but I do find it sexist and I also find it a bit embarrassing. I was scrolling through this thread (which was supposed to be serious) and was at the section full of boobs when my son walked in. I don't want to be embarrassed by using this site and I was at that point. I'm 52 but I felt like a naughty schoolboy. So I wouldn't want to stop anyone posting that kind of thing but I would ask please moderate your behaviour and be selective. Sorry if I come across as prudish but we are not all guys having a chat in a bar here.

4. One of the issues prompting this discussion is the loss of community spirit. We are the victims of the broadening of the board in that we have some people that are posting material but that don't contribute much to the discussions or comment on other people's work. IMO that destroys the community spirit and also for me, as someone who tries to comment on everything, means I now feel like I have to be selective about the work on which I comment because I don't have the time to comment on everything. This lays me open to being accused of being "elitist" because I only comment on certain stuff and that concerns me. I keep thinking it may be better not to comment at all.

Sorry if I came across as a bit po-faced but I did want to make these points.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I agree with everything you say, Nigel! Very well said.