Synth Brittania - a history of early 80's synth bands...

Started by Greeny, February 16, 2010, 01:41:06 AM

Greeny

In case you missed this excellent documentary on BBC4, it's been serialised on YouTube. If you were into this kind of stuff in the early 80's (Human League, Gary Numan, Depeche Mode etc), it's essential - and nostalgic - viewing. Makes me want to do some songs on my 1980 Casio VL-1  :D

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVRYPjcVXg

64Guitars

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting. I never realised that Depeche Mode were such young kids. I'd heard a fair bit of their music but I guess I'd never seen pictures of them before and always assumed they were much older.

We should do an Electronic Music Fest some time. It seems like everyone here is a guitarist. It would be an interesting challenge to have a fest where guitars are not allowed and everything is done electronically with keyboards and/or computers. Except vocals, of course, although it would be fun to process the vocals electronically.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

This is cool watching - Might take a bit to pick through it all, but it looks interesting.

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 16, 2010, 01:18:23 PMIt would be an interesting challenge to have a fest where guitars are not allowed and everything is done electronically with keyboards and/or computers.

Oh, the horror...  ;D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

Quote from: launched on February 16, 2010, 01:43:55 PMThis is cool watching - Might take a bit to pick through it all, but it looks interesting.

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 16, 2010, 01:18:23 PMIt would be an interesting challenge to have a fest where guitars are not allowed and everything is done electronically with keyboards and/or computers.

Oh, the horror...  ;D

I'd have to borrow a nintendo DS.......
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

I don't know, maybe go with the older stuff - low bit tone generators or something. I wonder if there is software that emulates that equipment - Like the sound modules for old video games.

And the analog devices like stylophones and Moogs, which some people here have. That would be cool.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

Quote from: OsCKilO on February 16, 2010, 04:54:33 PM
Quote from: launched on February 16, 2010, 01:43:55 PMThis is cool watching - Might take a bit to pick through it all, but it looks interesting.

Oh, the horror...  ;D

I'd have to borrow a nintendo DS.......

Oh .. please shut up .. ORH might hear you ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

I've still got my Commodore 64 and MusicMate keyboard by Sequential Circuits which plugs into the C64's joystick port. Haven't used it in about 25 years.

(click to enlarge)

I'll have to dig it out of the closet and set it up if we have an Electronic Music Fest. Sounds like fun!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

You know, that is too cool, 64. Some killer stuff could be produced from that thing I would guess! 
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 16, 2010, 09:57:47 PMI might have to change my avatar.   ;D

Well, we've all been thinking you could change your avatar to  64(Master of the Universe), but we'll take that one...  :D

Peace, bro!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover