Can't believe it's taken 42 years...

Started by Greeny, February 15, 2010, 09:26:32 AM

Greeny

... to discover this awesome band and song. Wishbone Ash - 'Blowin' Free'. It's a 1973 guitar-lovers dream. And for a live performance, this is amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeY9IRnVmk8

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Jeez, saw them do it live in 1973 at the Dome in Brighton. Check out "Argus", it is a classic album and has some wonderful dual lead guitar on it. Also check out "Rock and Roll Widow", another Wishbone Ash classic. A truly great band, were a bit of their time (the 1970s) but a lot of their music really stands the test of time. You would also like "Silver Shoes" and "Lady Jay" from the "There's The Rub" album - check them out on Last.fm if you can.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Now here's a funny related story. I used to be in a band at school that played this song. We were all about 15/16 years old and we enterted a local talent competition/battle of the bands type thing. We all played cheap guitars through cheap amps with no distortion - didn't know about effects and all that. So we played a cute twangy version of this song with really simple guitar parts (no internet, no guitar tabs, no guitar mags to explain the riffs in those days). The band that went on just before us were a bunch of hairy arsed 20 plus year olds with Marshalls and real guitars, and they played this song with full guitar solos and proper distortion. Not a good experience. We didn't win either.....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SE

God this bring back memories of seeing whem in the late seventies in the Glasgow Appollo, which is no more I think it,s a muliti- plex cinema now that,s progress for you.Think I saw them advertised in the papers not long ago, so they must still be gigging but if it,s still the orginal line up I would be very surprised.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Tony W

20 year olds should never have hairy arses, it's their loss Nigel.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

side effect they played the renfrew ferry last year my mate craig who is obsessed by them had tickets and i couldnt get out of work commitments so had to pass. there is also a tribute band that played the glenhead tavern in duntocher not long ago but i'm buggered if i can mind their name.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Quote from: Tony W on February 15, 2010, 12:38:13 PM20 year olds should never have hairy arses, it's their loss Nigel.

LOL! Thanks Tony, I feel better now. Wishbone Ash were still great both times I saw them, despite the unhappy memories of this song!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

I love WA!!!!!!!!, awesome bass player, very influential, played those bass lines and sang at the the same time, incredible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etzadAfjFR8

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Mmmm, I like the Thunderbird bass. Mass produced, almost a $2000 instrument. I'll never own one, but maybe I'll smudge one with my fingerprints at the guitar store someday...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover