Bands you don't Like

Started by henwrench, February 14, 2010, 01:10:55 PM

Maverick31

Quote from: Gritter on February 22, 2010, 11:11:54 AM
QuoteEverything out these days just seems to be cookie-cutter music, and they're all interchangeable to my ears. I never listen to the radio, ever.

There are lots of good bands and artists out there currently...lots just like there always has been. But you got to go find them. The radio feeds you popular music so if you like something different you need to go hunting for it....the internet is a great place to find good new stuff...this site for instance...ALL new music (and new cover versions).

I know this... I was talking about what's played on the radio.
"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead."
-Layne Staley

bannybassman

Quote from: nathanclarke on February 22, 2010, 10:09:31 AMI can honestly say i've never met anyone...not one person that hasn't hated U2 and yet they're massive. Who are these people? Must just be the irish population.
how can you not like u2?
i'm sorry but i think they're a great band.
the edge's guitar work is awesome and bonos lyrics are great!

... and no, im not irish
"A guitarist spends half his life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune"

Bluesberry

Quote from: bannybassman on February 22, 2010, 02:50:25 PM
Quote from: nathanclarke on February 22, 2010, 10:09:31 AMI can honestly say i've never met anyone...not one person that hasn't hated U2 and yet they're massive. Who are these people? Must just be the irish population.
how can you not like u2?
i'm sorry but i think they're a great band.
the edge's guitar work is awesome and bonos lyrics are great!

... and no, im not irish

Here we go again, this thread is just pushing everybody's buttons, and not in a fun way.  It was Rush with me, now U2 with banny.  I really liked U2 in their prime, it was very exciting and fine music.  Bono had  power, the edge practically invented a guitar sound that is so pervasive nowadays, at the time it was totally unique.  They had soul and passion and were very cool.  I thought so back in the day.  It is so easy to look at a band slightly past their prime and dismiss them.  At the time, at their time (which their music helped to define by the way) they were something else.  I don't care for all this beating up on bands like this.  The good ones made the best music they could, within their abilities, and the mood of the time, and for that they should be remembered for the good music they created.  Most of the bands talked about in this thread could be viewed this way.  I am a music lover, not a music basher.  I don't want to bash anybody needlessly, just for sport.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

Yeah i agree with BB on this one. I used to be one-tracked minded but when creating your own original music you realize that it comes from your subconscious and your soul. You dont know how to rate yourself and you rely on others to tell you and usually they tell you, you sound like this band,or him or her and then you either like it or not.

I always just tell people that music is like food or politics. We all have different taste and if we didn`t, this world would be boring. Except when it comes to Nickelback. that`s a BIG NO...LMAO
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gnasty on February 22, 2010, 05:05:06 PMExcept when it comes to Nickelback. that`s a BIG NO...LMAO
I think we can at least all agree on that, Nickleback are in a class all by themselves for making shit music that sells millions.  Way to go Nickleback.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

I don't hate U2. They're still the best band I've ever seen live (and I've seen a few...!). And The Edge is a very important and influential (not to mention original) guitarist. I do think that Bono has an ego problem and can act like an arse at times, but the music speaks for itself. Some of their songs are all-time classics.

I think there are a few U2 lovers on here...

Bluesberry

Quote from: Greeny on February 23, 2010, 01:13:53 AMI think there are a few U2 lovers on here...
Saying you don't like U2 is just about as ridiculous as saying you don't like the Rolling Stones or the Who.  The Rolling Stones were on top of the world between 1968 to 1974, "Beggars Banquet" to "Exile On Main Street".  Huge and very influential and very cool band durign that period.  For my money "Sticky Fingers" is their best, that is the one that Mick Taylor (lead guitar, slide guitar - not Keith Richards on that one) had the most input to, and his guitar playing was incredible.  That is one for the ages.  Same with the Who, anybody who saw them live between 1969 to 1974 saw a band that had so much power it blew everybodys mind who saw them.  It is not surprising that they were considered the best live rock band in the world during that time.  Ridiculous to me, HaHaHa, this thread is killing me.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chapperz66

I have to say that I'm not terribly keen on U2.  I wouldn't say I hate them but I certainly haven't been tempted to buy anything by them.  What I have heard all sounds a bit formulaic to me.  The guitarist has a sound and he's jolly well going to use it!

I'm not huge on Nickelback but I have to say that it always comes as a bit of a relief at the gym when a Nickelback song comes on rather than the usual Lady Gaggag drivel.  (Am I showing my age?  I hope so!)

You can't knock the Stones or the Who - although again I don't own any of their music. I've always been a huge Rush fan - and own most of their albums.

So who do I hate?  Leaving aside the obvious (boy "bands", girl "bands", rap "bands" anything to do with Simon Cowell) I can only really say - anything with bagpipes in it.  Apologies to the Scots (and I'm half Scottish myself) but I really don't think they have a place in polite society or outside of the battlefield.  Paul MacCartney - genius - but what on earth was Mull of Kintyre about? 
 No! Stop! 

chapperz66

Oh and I really don't understand Coldplay.  Just boring as far as I'm concerned.

Did Satriani win the plagiarism court case against them?

It seemed a bit blatant to me.

Paul

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: chapperz66 on February 25, 2010, 10:22:35 AMOh and I really don't understand Coldplay.  Just boring as far as I'm concerned.

Did Satriani win the plagiarism court case against them?

It seemed a bit blatant to me.

Paul

They settled out of court. But like most settlements, they did not disclose what those term where.