Bands you don't Like

Started by henwrench, February 14, 2010, 01:10:55 PM

Tony W

OK, I worked on this list for a bit.... well I copied and pasted.

This is my list of bands that were listed in this thread as "bands you don't like" However I like them...

The Who
The Rolling Stones
U2
Queen
Elton John
Abba
Floyd
Talking Heads
Oasis
Coldplay
Radiohead
Grateful Dead
Duran Duran
Nirvana
Nickelback
UB40
AC/DC
Sugar Ray
Pearl Jam.... although their new stuff..... ugh
Blink 182
Foo Fighters
The Eagles
Rush
Aerosmith

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 18, 2010, 02:09:54 PMsome bands on first few listens i just couldnt understand the hype but went onto become some of my fave bands, i was reading something peter gabriel said recently about the ipod culture of people only downloading stuff that they liked on first listen and not going for the slowburners that need a bit of work on the listeners part, and about some/most of his favourite songs being the ones he had to work at understanding and didnt like on first or even second hearing.
but now they are the songs he can listen to over and over again.

I find the same thing. In fact, the songs I like on first listen are often the ones that I grow tired of very quickly.

I've had quite a large album collection since I was a teenager. I used to buy new albums quite frequently, often on a whim. Consequently, I've bought a fair number of albums that I listened to only once or twice, then filed away because they didn't thrill me. Being the computer geek that I am, I wrote a program for my Commodore PET computer in the late 70s or early 80s which randomly selected an album and track from my collection based on album number/side/track number. I would then create cassette tapes of these randomly-selected tracks and listen to them in my car on the way to work. I was surprised to find that many of the tracks from albums which I'd otherwise not have listened to again became some of my favourites.

Or sometimes, several years after filing away a new album I'd only listened to once or twice, I'd give it another listen and be astounded at how good it is. I'd think, "This is great! Why haven't I been listening to it all these years?" Yet, on first listen years earlier, it didn't interest me at all.

You really have to give music a chance.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 18, 2010, 02:49:26 PMOr sometimes, several years after filing away a new album I'd only listened to once or twice, I'd give it another listen and be astounded at how good it is. I'd think, "This is great! Why haven't I been listening to it all these years?" Yet, on first listen years earlier, it didn't interest me at all.

You really have to give music a chance.

Well said - Also, having all or a lot of your music available to visitors at home can bring up surprises. I don't have a home stereo anymore, but when I did, my friends got a chance to play anything that was on display. They would play CD's that I may have only run through once or twice sometimes, and some I was disappointed with at the time. For some reason the revival caused me to grow to love the stuff I thought I had wasted twelve bucks on.

Odd.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

bannybassman

Ok...
not technically a band, but these Jedward guys, they rip of other peoples good songs and make hem a million times worse, and they SERIOUSLY need a haircut, both of them. They make me SOOO mad!!
To be honest I can't stand anyone who comes off the X-factor, or any singing talent shows in general.
"A guitarist spends half his life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune"

Maverick31

I pretty much don't like ANY band's that are out right now. I think music hit the shitter in the late 90's or very early 2000's... and that was still on a downward slope. Everything out these days just seems to be cookie-cutter music, and they're all interchangeable to my ears. I never listen to the radio, ever.
"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead."
-Layne Staley

Gnasty

Well being Canadian i have to say i dislike Nickelback myself. They are basically the new Def Leppard. I admittingly would go to their concert for the poontang though..HAHA!

As far as You Rush haters go? I dont like much after Moving Pictures but all their albums of the 70`s were nothing but Genius and they inspired so many musicians. Give a listen to La Villa Strangiato and YYZ. Incredible instrumentals. The best 3 piece band EVER!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Maverick31

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead."
-Layne Staley

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20