Bands you don't Like

Started by henwrench, February 14, 2010, 01:10:55 PM

Migs

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 15, 2010, 04:17:25 PMmigs he has a great voice can dance and some fab hats, rethink

Is that a hat ?  I thought he had stolen grandma's tea cosy.

I shoudl be careful.  People might make the same criticism about the great AC/DC who some might claim have simply played the one song since 1973.  Funny to look at the Black Ice track list -> Rock N Roll Train, She Likes Rock N Roll, Rock N Roll Dream, Rocking All The Way.  10 points for imaginative titles I guess.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Blooby

Not to go to obscure, but I never understood why people like John Scofield (including Miles Davis).  He is a consummate noodler, but I've never heard him make a statement on guitar.

There's a great story about Miles chastising him by saying, "Play!  Don't practice!" or something to that effect.

Pfft.

Blooby

s.w.goatlips

Funny, I just saw the thread about brit synth bands from the 80's. Now That shit just leaves me absolutely cold. Ultravox, Duran Duran, Spandau Bullshit, arrrgh. I was just near the end of uni back then and I seriously thought maybe the world was coming to an end (musically at least).
Frustration is my middle name.

s.w.goatlips

By the way, Red Red Wine was written by Neil Diamond. (Ha). I guess it should be remembered that music is usually a sign of the times it was made in. Stones, Who, Grateful Dead etc were at least innovative at some point. Now, lets talk about Barry Manilow.....oh yeah, and Jefferson Starship. Now, I always liked the Airplane, but Starship make me chunder.
Frustration is my middle name.

scottieD

Quote from: Migs on February 15, 2010, 04:06:39 PMand another

Jamiroquai, as far as my untrained ear can tell, have only one song that they simpy re-name and play over and over and over and over again.

Yes, yes, yes!!!  Absolutely terrible.....May I throw Nickelback in the mix?  Ashamed to be from the same country as them....

recorder
Boss BR-800
   Okay to cover...not sure why you'd want to though...

Saijinn Maas

I gotta throw Sugar Ray in there too. Their lyrics are atrocious! Right up there with Nickelback in ridiculousness. And, to me, they epitomize the term "sell out".

henwrench

Let's just quickly get a couple of points across to those who feel this may be a negative/hate thread....

1.  Scientific fact...when we humans listen to music, lots of different parts of our brains 'light' up due to electrical activity induced by enjoyment/passion/being 'moved'. When we hear music that doesn't set off this chemical reaction in our brains, guess what?......we don't like it, plain and simple. The music just doesn't light up the relative parts of our brain.

2.  Who said anything about 'hating'? Not old henwrench. Simply 'Bands you don't Like'. 'kay?

If everyone liked all the music in the world, well it would get pretty boring, wouldn't it?

Pet Shop Boys
   UB40
   George Micheal
   Jay Z
   Rush
   Aerosmith

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  :)  ;)  :D  ;D  :-*  :-*  :-*

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

And the really interesting part of all this is that each one of us, each as individuals gets their brain lighted up differently, so that a band that one person doesn't like, another person will absolutely adore and the other guy will never understand in a million years.

Onto your latest list Hen, the inclusion of Rush makes the hair on my eyeballs stand straight up.  I adore Rush, it lights up my brain big time.  I respect your opinion, but I will always love listening to Rush.  Geddy freaking Lee baby!!!!!!!!!

This is quite the sociological experiment going on here.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Satchwood

I'm with you on this one Dave!!  I luv some of Rush's songs - I actually listened to them on the way to work today - can't ever sing like Geddy Lee.... I might get close to Alex Lifeson one of these days...

Oh and I luv Aerosmith too (their older stuff) - I was flippin weened on Aerosmith Henny!  Joe flippin Perry baby!!

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Oldrottenhead

maybe we should have a thread for bands you used to dislike but now like.

some bands on first few listens i just couldnt understand the hype but went onto become some of my fave bands, i was reading something peter gabriel said recently about the ipod culture of people only downloading stuff that they liked on first listen and not going for the slowburners that need a bit of work on the listeners part, and about some/most of his favourite songs being the ones he had to work at understanding and didnt like on first or even second hearing.
but now they are the songs he can listen to over and over again.

i had such experiences with
van der graaf generator
pixies
jesus and mary chain
stone roses
the smiths
captain beefheart
can
yes
the arcade fire
flaming lips

to name but a few.

maybe i just need tp persevere with coldplay
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann