Them Crooked Vultures

Started by Torren61, February 14, 2010, 11:19:54 AM

Saijinn Maas

I like some of the songs they put out before the album came out, but I have to say i was really disappointed in the album.  :(

Blooby

I went to see the Warren Haynes Xmas Jam last year.  The Allman Brothers were in the middle of "Mountain Jam," and an enormous roar came from the crowd.  John Paul Jones came on stage and took over the bass duties.  They they went into "Dazed and Confused" and then back out into "Mountain Jam."

JPJ also sat in on mandolin with the Del McCoury band with little fanfare.  Good stuff and a great memory.

Blooby

Greeny

This is a tricky one. I think they're pretty good from what I've heard so far. I haven't decided to buy the album yet though. Why? ....

My problem is that they're just NOT QUITE AS GOOD AS THEY SHOULD BE!!!! I think Josh Homme is an incredible guitarist, vocalist and songwriter with QOTSA (love him to bits in fact); I think Dave Grohl is a mighty fine drummer (as well as doing some great work with the Foo Fighters); and John Paul Jones... well, nobody needs to even question his credentials.  But somehow, the brilliance of the individual parts don't add up to anything extraordinary. In fact, if this band were a bunch of unknowns, they'd struggle to get a deal (probably). They are f*cking tight as hell as a band, but it's just very competent rock to my ears, without any special spark or direction.

Must be fun playing with John Paul Jones though, lol

Glenn Mitchell

I'm an old guy and don't know these guys as individuals. I was a Brit invasion fan.
So from a completely innocent perspective, I think the noisy power pop comment is right on.
This seems to be the current thing. put a bunch of dudes together to combine the independent fan bases and make a bit of $$ touring.
They really need to have a monster hit or 3 before touring tho.
Even the Monkeys had some carefully crafted songs.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Gnasty

I have this cd too and although like a couple tunes, i don`t think it is that impressive really. I mean it s probably better live than listening on cd.
All 3 of these guys are amazing in their own right but have to give this supergroup a thumbs down.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Davo

I dig em but the style of rock is not my favorite.  Dave and Josh have always been HUGE Zep fans, perhaps they are living a teenage dream.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe