Recording Levels and Clipping

Started by 64Guitars, February 13, 2010, 11:21:19 PM

bannybassman

thanks 64, that's really helpful!
I'll try changing a few settings
"A guitarist spends half his life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune"

launched

Wow, that was a good read. I had no idea that bit depth was so affected by the recording level. Very good info to know. That being said, I would imagine that 16 bits is enough to please the human ear, and most of our rigs have 24 bit signal processing.

To me, that means if we stay in the 70-80% input level range, we would somewhat limit/eliminate distortion and be recording at a rate greater than the human ear can process. Is that right? I don't dare push it too far.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on February 14, 2010, 03:19:46 PMTo me, that means if we stay in the 70-80% input level range, we would somewhat limit/eliminate distortion and be recording at a rate greater than the human ear can process. Is that right? I don't dare push it too far.

Yes, the waveform in Song 3 above is probably at about 80% and that's pretty good. Although, before posting, I would recommend using Audacity's Normalize effect to raise the level so that the peaks hit 1.0. Remember, clipping only occurs when levels exceed 1.0. You'll get no clipping when the peaks merely reach 1.0 but don't exceed it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ferryman

This is fantastic info and great advice 64G. Many  thanks.

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR