Gibson SG>Space Echo=The Earth Spins my Axis

Started by begacjj, February 12, 2010, 04:21:26 PM

begacjj

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

Hello,

I just uploaded a new song which I would like to share with the group.  I don't really know how to classify the music but it is sort of a ambient space rock kinda thing I guess.  Anyways it is way larger than 5MB so if you want to here it you will need to listen to it at my myspace page which is here www.myspace.com/echosofinfiniti  It is the first song in my player.  I recorded it using my Boss BR-600.  Using the following gear minus the amp:

Your feedback is always appreciated!

Bluesberry

I am really envious of your Roland Chorus echo, I LOVE the whole space echo vibe.  I went out and got myself a Boss Space echo Pedal, not the same at all, but it gets me close.  I love how the thing becomes an instrument onto itself.  You are not just playing guitar here, you are playing guitar and space echo, two instruments at once.  I think this sounds deadly, I could listen to stuff like this all day.  How well does your space echo perform, is it in good shape, does it need lots of TLC to keep it running?  Of course I am going to say this reminds me of early Syd era Pink Floyd.  Or I could say it reminds me of something Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood would do (he sure loves his space echo).  It has a groove going that I really like.  My only niggle is that it feels unfinished to me, like it is needing something more to finish it off, some singing maybe, a little synth noodling here an there, maybe just a solid bass line would anchor this.  I just took a little trip while listening, it was very pleasant, thanks.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

begacjj

Yes, my Chorus Echo is my most cherished possession!  The new Boss digital space echo is a very nice delay and does a good job emulating the space echo sound.  Two songs on my myspace were recorded with the digitial space echo (Genghis Khan and Eleanor Bigsby) when I played through a guys guitar setup I met when visiting Washington DC over the holidays.  It was a very nice pedal.

My space echo performs great, it didn't see much action from the previous owner was a studio.  I cleaned all of the heads which was easy and so far no problems but I have only had it about 5 months.  I love early Pink Floyd and Radiohead so just being mentioned in the same sentence is a compliment to me, thanks!
I think your right it could use something, most likely going to add some synth. 

Hey, have you ever tried feeding your synth through your space echo?  If not you are missing out.

Bluesberry

Yup, thats what I really got the Boss RE-20 for.  One of your posts you did this, ran your synth and drums through your space echo.  That is what made me go out and get my pedal, it is really good with synth.  I have a Roland SH-201 and it really warms it up, transforms it into a very cool synth, it is like night and day.  I cant play it without the space echo now, it sounds too bland.  I run all my drum machine drums through it now too.  Guitar of course sounds wicked (as you display here).  My latest song (Stargazer) was mainly synth and I ran all the synth parts through my RE-20 pedal.  Thanks for the good advice.  I may have to look into getting a real one someday, they are sooooo cool.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

begacjj

That is cool!  Glad you tried the synth and drums with the space echo.  It does add some movement and artifacts to the music that really warms it up and makes shiny pristine digital sounds sound a little more lo-fi and anolgish.  Another thing that is fun to do is to crank the intensity knob up until it starts to self-oscilate and then either slowly back of the intensity know or slow down the tempo slowly which yields all sorts of space ship and psychedelic sounds.  Good times!  I got me Space Echo for $500 and my was in mint condition and the more desirable chorus version so if you keep your eyes peeled you could get the RE-201 I bet for around $400.  The chorus is cool but I could live without it and get a RE-201 although the 201 is supposed to have a dirtiier sound and is noisier than the 301 but the dirt and noise is what most people like about it.