BR the world!

Started by Farmjazz, July 27, 2008, 10:41:20 AM

Farmjazz

The more I use this thing, the more I see how it can be used. My wife commented about how good things are sounding lately, "Coming out of that little box." Even though she's becoming more of a BR widow ... "Oh no, he's on the BR again. Honey, the house is burning down."

"Huh? Not now, dear, I'm busy."

My point is - this takes time like anything else. You could spend all day dialing in a certain guitar sound if necessary. THATS OK! Because next time you'll have that knowledge under your belt. I try and do something new with each project just to see what will happen. Typically, it takes the project to a new level.

On my last project, I went back and re-added the bass track to the existing mix, panned it the other way, and added a chorus effect to it, giving it a fretless sound. Nothing new to some you, I'm sure, but it took ME doing it to really get it. Now I know that little trick.

I sense frustration in some of the posts. "This thing won't do what I want" kind of thing. Chances are, this thing will do what you want, and way more, (Way Beyond Your Dreams should be the theme song). You have to just take the time and patiently work it out. You can't just whip it out of the box, turn it on and expect to be Johnny Studio Cat. It ain't gonna happen. Your musicianship took time to develop - so will this. Learn the new terms and concepts - no big deal.

Don't be afraid to experiment. One concept that helped me years ago was saying to myself, "Hey, this is only an experiment. If it doesn't work out, fine." Every now and then, an experiment turns into a serious piece of work. I've got at least forty ideas sketched out on my BR at the moment. Maybe three or four will turn into something worth while. Besides, the other ideas can always be used as "parts." A music junkyard.

Anyway, I just want to offer encouragement to anyone who's finding this to be more work than they thought it was going to be. Stay at it, its so worth it. We're all fortunate to have this amazing technology to share our music.

JOKE:

Q: How do you know when there's a singer at your front door?

A: She can't find the key, and she doesn't know when to come in!

Pedro

Nice inspiring post.

I haven't messed around with the BR lately because I'm trying to develop my ideas. I feel that most of the time I'm trying to record something that doesn't exist. Bottom line is that when it comes to recording originals, the dedication and time is doubled. I believe that most experimentation has to happen before actually touching the Micro BR. If not, I think that this can be another source of frustration.

Farmjazz

Pedro, you're right. The MICRO BR does not write music for you. It does, however, play that basic rhythm part over and over for you so you can experiment with the lead line/melody/bass line for instance. I find that a lot of my projects start out as an outline penciled out on manuscript paper. I say penciled out, because I prefer the final end-product to have the feeling of spontaneity. It doesn't always work out that way. When something is overworked, it sounds that way, (Key Witness, as an example).

All this aside, though, it comes down to how much time is spent with the instrument. Great ideas and a whole bunch of gear does not a musician make. A composer, engineer, producer perhaps, but you can't get away from the essential familiarity that comes with time spent with your partner in music - your instrument. It was amazing how much my playing improved by just getting rid of my TV set, (uh, oh, here he goes again), back in '98. Nuff said.

Also, when original material is not ready to take to the BR, there's always cover tunes to try and arrange and tweak and try new things with. I'm thinking of working up a very familiar traditional Irish tune next, The Star of the County Down, as a waltz with electric guitar doing the melody, ala Phil Keaggy. Will it work? I don't know. We'll see!   

tackium

I feel very much like you guys. I an come up with an original about once a year I guess, if I have to. But I have this friend who is an " originals machine" . He'd given up playing. My BR revived him. I'ts an awsome feeling!

psychmusic

Thanks for the encouragment. The whole bouncing, mastering, and even a lot of the settings (compression, panning, reverb) are all new to me. Its a long slow process learning how to use this thing. I have found that it is making me a better musican. I am glad for that.

SteveG

What I find useful with the MBR is that it will let me tweak away at the various pre-sets without having to understand what I am doing, then I can apply the knowledge gained whilst mixing and mastering on the PC. Makes it a fine learning tool as well as my favourite toy  ;D

psychmusic

Thank you for your encouragment. Having no technical abilities, learning this thing has been a challenge. Bouncing, mixing, and adjusting effects is a tough task. I have found that this machine has made me a better musican. It has also allowed me to do things I never thought possible for a basement guitar player. It has been a blast. It has also been a blast to listen and learn from some very talented people who dont have to be here and are willing to take time to help others. That being said, this is my favorite web site. Thanks for the inspiration all!