The Who at the Super Bowl halftime

Started by hooper, February 08, 2010, 08:32:38 AM

Migs

Quote from: Jim1970 on February 08, 2010, 12:57:29 PMBut without John they did lose  A big part of the Who.

And Keith Moon.  I think the two of them were what drove The Who sound.

Quote from: Flash Harry on February 08, 2010, 10:22:19 AMAnd with Entwhistle gone, they have lost their lead guitarist.
Very very true.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

IanR

Quote from: lg on February 10, 2010, 01:55:14 PMI enjoyed the Hell out of the concert myself.
And I too thought that it was not only the highlight of the
superbowl, but possibly of the month!
I am & have always been & will always be a huge Who fan.
I would enjoy just seeing them appear on stage and wave hello....LOL.
They have certainly aged, no doubt, but who am I to point fingers...LOL
Look at me, I also have aged, we all have.
The trick is to not give up! Keep rocking what you are feeling inside!
Long Live Rock. Be it dead or alive....

LG

I agree.  

They were better than many of the obvious alternatives: Black Eyed Peas; Taylor Swift; 50 cent;, any of those horrid boy bands; Robbie Williams; Beyonce.  No thanks.

The only thing that might have topped it would have been a Faces reunion.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

lg

Don't get me wrong, John Entwistle was the greatest bassist ever!
And keith Moon was the definitive Rocker on drums.
But, I was just happy to see them pushing on...
Never let go! never look back! never give up!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Greeny

Quote from: lg on February 11, 2010, 08:04:09 AMDon't get me wrong, John Entwistle was the greatest bassist ever!
And keith Moon was the definitive Rocker on drums.
But, I was just happy to see them pushing on...
Never let go! never look back! never give up!

LG

I agree... how the hell did The Who end up with the best drummer and bass player EVER?! It's an impossible gap to fill now they're gone. But I admire Roger & Pete for trying to carry on. It's not like they need the money or anything, so it must be for the love of music. Personally, I'd like to see Pete writing some new material instead of living on past glories though. I didn't see their Superbowl gig, but I'm a bit scared to now!

p.s. Pete is almost a neighbour of mine. I'll tell him what you all think if I run into him! lol

launched

I was just glad to see 'lil Pey Pey get his ass whipped...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

lg

I agree Tim, it would be nice to hear Pete & Roger do some new
material also.
And by the way, Launched it was a cool game wasn't it?

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

launched

Quote from: lg on February 11, 2010, 08:55:36 AMAnd by the way, Launched it was a cool game wasn't it?

Yes it was a killer game - I'm from NH, so obviously I'm a Pats fan with huge respect for the Steelers. I have been getting so sick of seeing 'lil Pey Pey squeak out 4th quarter wins, so this was huge for me. Super glad they shut the Colts down.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Blooby

Quote from: Greeny on February 11, 2010, 08:34:06 AMHow the hell did The Who end up with the best [rock] drummer and [rock] bass player EVER?!

I feel that way about Zeppelin.  When I listen to the kick drum in "Good Times Bad Times," I shake my head is disbelief, and when I hear the bass in the jam section of "The Lemon Song," I really shake my head in disbelief.

As far the Who's performance, I applaud them for not playing it safe.  Yes, it was a mess, but I had a shit-eating grin the whole time.

Blooby

Ted

I loved the halftime show!  I've watched it three times now.

For a Superbowl audience, they had to stick to abridged versions of their signature songs, but that doesn't mean they played it safe.  Pete was full of energy.  Who Are You was the highlight for me.

You can't replace Moon and Entwhistle, but you could do a lot worse than Zak Starkey and Pino Palladino.  As I've said before, Palladino is one of my favorite bassists and fills The Ox's shoes as well as anyone can.  Starkey has the pedigree and just enough sloppy wildness to be a facsimile of Moon (unlike Kenny Jones, who played too respectably and understated, which is a good quality in a studio musician, but not for a drummer for The Who).

And the Who have done new material.  The 2006 album The Endless Wire was a bit uneven, but still very good.  Half the songs sounded like they were reaching back to Who's Next--and not quite grasping it.  But on the other half, Daltrey and Townshend showed their age--in a good way.  The topics and execution of the songs sounded like a couple of 60-somethings who have grown humble and comfortable in their respective skins.

My prediction for next year: Led Zeppelin
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

fenderbender

was gonna say did'nt think much of them -
but reading back thru' all the posts -I'd better not  ;D ;D

great setup -jeeeeeeeeeeeez everymans dream to play in front of a mass audience eating out of your hand --

but watching them on TV -thought they were OK -nothing to write home about
but then Im a little over the hill myself  ::) ::) ::)remember them first time around -
maybe it was the sound on my TV -might need a new HD super stereo  system
so I wont say that they were just ok in my opinion ;D ;D ;D :D :D
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600