The Who at the Super Bowl halftime

Started by hooper, February 08, 2010, 08:32:38 AM

hooper

Gosh, I thought that was sad.  :-[
And I'm a really big Who fan.  When I saw The Who live in 1972... the Who's Next tour, it was the most energized, uplifting and entertaining rock concert I have ever seen.   :)
Time has really taken it's toll...

I remember reading in Rolling Stone magazine, back when Elvis was still performing in his last days... overweight and not too with-it, a quote from Mick Jagger talking about Elvis, saying something like: There's no way to keep performing rock-n-roll onstage after 40 and still maintain your dignity.  
Heh... even Mick might not say that anymore.  :D

But at least the Stones have still got it musically, even if they are kinda scary to look at and McCartney, well he's still got it all.  I expect Pete Townshend and Roger Daltery are embarrassed this morning. Too bad they didn't have enough awareness to pass on the gig.
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

cuthbert

Well said, hooper.

I have contradictory feelings about this.

Time has indeed taken its toll.

Apart from some of the performance flubs and the aging vocal pipes 'on overdrive', a big part of the disappointment (for me, anyway) is just that The Who aren't really 'The Who' without John Entwistle and Keith Moon also there. Given their age, band mortality, and the cramped format, it was a recipe for failure on some level or other.

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of their earlier work which informed a large part of my musical journey in my teens and twenties. As long as Townsend and Daltrey are around and still want to play live, I can't be too disappointed with their shortcomings.

But then again, if I had bought a (surely premium-priced) ticket to a show like this, I don't imagine I would have felt it was money well-spent.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Flash Harry

Why did the American Football circus want to subsume the essential British band?

I heard that there were banner and placard waving demonstrating protestors announcing to the world that Townshend was a paedophile.

And with Entwhistle gone, they have lost their lead guitarist.

They shouldn't have played for so many reasons.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tony W

Quote from: Flash Harry on February 08, 2010, 10:22:19 AMWhy did the American Football circus want to subsume the essential British band?

That's a simple question to answer. Most Americans don't have a clue that Rock and Roll exists outside the states. We know the songs, we know the words, but the majority have no idea that so many elite musicians come from abroad.

In a nutshell, we are ignorant.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

I thought they were great. They Rocked!!!!!

They should not be compared to their former selves. For what it was - a half time medley to pump up the crowd and keep up the energy level, it was brilliant...they looked sharp in the black suits...dignified I'd even say...the lights and frickin' lazers were frickin' kewl and Zach Starkey on drums was given'er...whatta game!

Why wouldn't they do it? They are being honored...The Super Bowl is the single most watched television event of the year...every year...wouldn't you want to do it if you were them? A bit of glory...I bet they felt great after!

You guys are like this:

...but I'm totally like this:

Long Live Rock!

Jim1970

I thought they kicked some ASS!!!
Hats off to them to Rock into their mid Sixties.
Pete was always a kind of Sloppy but ballsy Guitar
player. Thats what I always liked about him.
But without John they did lose  A big part of the Who.

JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Satchwood

The Who's 12 minute performance was definitely my favorite part of the Super Bowl this year!!  I rather enjoyed it! 

I hope I can play before 77,000 live fans & millions more watching on TV when I'm in my mid 60s.....

We should all send the NFL our musical resumes for next years spot ! lol !

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

hooper

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Bluesberry

I love how in that clip, after abusing his guitar at the end, he lovingly sets it down as careful as he can. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

lg

I enjoyed the Hell out of the concert myself.
And I too thought that it was not only the highlight of the
superbowl, but possibly of the month!
I am & have always been & will always be a huge Who fan.
I would enjoy just seeing them appear on stage and wave hello....LOL.
They have certainly aged, no doubt, but who am I to point fingers...LOL
Look at me, I also have aged, we all have.
The trick is to not give up! Keep rocking what you are feeling inside!
Long Live Rock. Be it dead or alive....

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!