Zoom hd16cd is here!!

Started by mrjeff1s, January 29, 2010, 07:57:59 PM

Ok.  Might have posted this in wrong section the first time, so I will try again.  I just got the Zoom hd16 in the mail yesterday.  I bought a pair of headphones today from Guitar Center which will be a big help to me in hearing what Im doing.
  Heres a question though.....do I need passive or active near field monitors?  I've looked through the book this afternoon and cant find any info about it.  I do have a set of computer speakers...can I use them?

Jeff

thouston

QuoteHere's a question though.....do I need passive or active near field monitors?  I've looked through the book this afternoon and cant find any info about it.  I do have a set of computer speakers...can I use them?

Computer speakers would work in a pinch. The reason for using 'studio monitors' is that they basically have a flat EQ response, meaning they don't color the audio.

What I would is take one of your favorite CDs, play it in the HD16, with the speakers attached, this would give you a audio reference.

I'm not sure if the HD16's Line-out has enough power to push passive speakers, I'm pretty sure that you need powered speakers.

Since one of the features of the HD16 is that it comes bundled with Steinberg Cubase LE, and you can use it as a control interface, I would get a pair of powered monitors and connect them to your computer for mixing.
Tony Houston