"Evil Inside" (lyrics Maverick31, music & vox Satchwood)

Started by Satchwood, January 24, 2010, 08:51:27 PM

Satchwood

Satchwoods_Evil_Inside
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's a new song - kinda dark - definitely not about a walk in the park.  I'm trying to get myself to sing more...so this is my first cut.  The lyrics I used are from Maverick31's cool writings...

"Evil Inside"  Music & vox by Tommy Satchwood, Words by Justin Maverick c2010

- intro solo -

Verse 1:
The thoughts inside my head will explode
Pull them all out before I grow cold
You say that it's over, but how did we start?
These foolish games now are breaking my heart

Where is the touch that chills my skin?
I want to feel her, but love makes me spin...

Chorus:
  Look in my eyes, there's evil inside
  You run away fast, but where will you hide?
  Take my hand now there's nothing to fear
  If you don't want my love, then why are you here?

- solo -

Verse 2:
My mind is wandering, the evil brain
But in your eyes my thoughts are insane
It's time to decide, i know the price
When she come near, her touch, cold as ice

But the pain must continue, will it ever go?
Till it starts all over we'll never know...

Chorus:
  Look in my eyes there's evil inside
  You runaway fast, but where will you hide?
  Take my hand there's nothing to fear
  If you don't want my love, then why are you here?

- Outro solo and fade -
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

lg

Well Tommy,
You did a killer job on this.
Makes me think of Black Sabbath, or at least Ozzie's stuff.
Straight to my mp3 player....

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Bob Iles

I love it! It has a great 80s hard rock sound and feel to it. Right up my alley! Good production, maybe cut the guitars back just a bit, but otherwise sounds great!
You've only got 12 notes and however you mix them up is your thing. - Edward Van Halen

Ferryman

Tommy, it's great! Nice guitar riffs and superb solo work, but that's no surprise. The surprise is that it's great to hear you singing and your voice (from what I can hear) sounds very good and has a lot of potential. You are pretty much in pitch and have a nice vibrato going on there, you just need to get a bit more confidence in your delivery and that will come. There are some really nice parts when your voice goes higher that work really well. Excellent, please keep doing more.

A few production thoughts just for your consideration - don't overdo the effects, there's a bit too much echo/reverb on the vox for me and the vox a re a little lost on the mix. You could push them up a bit, but I think it's more to do with the EQ - the vox sound is a little "thin" to me in the mid ranges. If you could beef the mid ranges up, you might find the vox would cut through a bit more without having to push the volume up.

BTW, I love the dark nature of the song, great lyrics that really suit what you've put together here, well done. I hope Justin likes it!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Dmann

This is a great tune man :) It reminds me of Dokken at times (hope your not offended, I was a fan back in the day at any rate). I'm no great singer, but practice everyday it gets easier and easier, so keep it up man, sounds great.

Not sure if you do this or not, but I record my Vocals dry usually and bounce effects on after, makes it easier to fit into the final mix for me.

launched

This is way too cool - I feel a little Dokken here as well.

The chorus riff is to die for!! (Sounds like I'm eating a chocolate cake, doesn't it?). Nigel is right, maybe a little eq to boost the vox more, but I am really impressed with the end results so don't get me wrong. You're kicking ass in that department now.

Oh, and the bass line is so 80's!!!!! Love it - Chugging, bumping, grinding, freakin' awesome! I strive to do it like that.

Overall, I'd say you are the freakin' man, bro. Combined with Justin's lyrics, this song takes it to another level.

Straight to PiePod, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  8)

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Wiley

You took the lyrics and really put an evil sound to it!!  Stunning!
Everything you touch turns "golden"!!

Satchwood

Thanks for the listen and nice words, LG - Black Sabbath or Ozzie - wow I'm humbled !!

Thank you Bob for the 80s hard rock comment - very cool!!  I think your right, I'm drowning my vox out a bit at times.  practice practice practice...

Hey Nigel, thanks for the kind words and pointers - I need them and appreciate them!!  I definitely need to build up some more confidence in my delivery!  I'll try bumping the eq on the mids and see if it helps - your probably right, cuz I believe I bumped the highs up to 3+, probably thinned them out - thanks!  The echo delay was supposed to help the vox sound scary - and i probably over did it some.  Thanks for the fantastic production improvement input!!

Thank you for the Dokken reference Dmann - one of my favorites!! - I really dig George Lynch's guitar playing and have learned several of their tunes.  I don't think I'll ever sing like Don Dokken though - maybe with some helium help...lol  I would luv to see a Dokken/Lynch reunion!

I haven't tried recording my vox dry yet and adding fx later - that will be a new process for me that I'd really like to try.  That way I can fiddle with the fx and try different things - great input, thanks!

Thank you Mark for the nice comments as well - were you eating chocolate cake? lol I am really flattered by the Dokken remarks here too!!  Lynch does do a lot of chugging type rhythms that I really like.  Still haven't bought a bass yet, so that was all done on my Yamaha keyboard - so maybe I'm developing as a keyboard bass player ahhh!  

I really like Justin's lyrics and I hope he likes this too - I may try another version using my keyboard as the primary instrument to see which version he likes better...

Thank you PJ for your kind words!!  I was trying to get that evil sound in my vox - thanks for picking up on that!  I don't know if this was golden, but I hope it was a little scary sounding - my singing on here sure scared me  :D

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Oldrottenhead

this is magic tommy, i agree with nigel re the effects on the vox. from personal experience i used to do that due to lack of confidence in my singing abilities, i still do it tho, but it can make it hard to hear the words.

i can see alice cooper singing this.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Maverick31

Thanks Satchwood! You have is much talent, it's crazy!

If you do re-record the song, don't just fill the song full of piano (like the whole song), but use it to suplement the intro, and maybe the ending. Of course through some in between. It's all up to you, really. I do like the version a lot though, that's for sure. You're a musical genius.
"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead."
-Layne Staley