Happy Jazz

Started by Fmarkow, July 16, 2008, 06:19:52 PM

Fmarkow

June Bug BR 071608
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Glad to be part of this forum. This is about my third song on the Micro BR. Since you all seem 'purist' about this gadget, I opted not to do any editing outside of the BR, though I was tempted - I typically use Cubase to surgically remove notes that fly out of my fingers without my permission ; ) I suppose the BR forces one to think about what they play BEFORE they play it.

I did use the edit feature to remove a couple of really problematic sections where I would have demonstrated my absolute inability to really play over chord changes. I also copied a section that actually worked well to another part. At first I was reluctant to do this erase/copy stuff in the BR, but it was actually pretty darn easy to figure out an execute, in fact made the prospects of using this thing even greater, knowing I can dump my mistakes in the digital trash heap.

I also re-did the drums after the fact. I initially recorded it using just one pattern, then went back and figured out different parts for each section, fills, etc. This works really well on the BR, I was impressed at how well some of the patterns worked with the tune.

As for gear, pretty much just the BR, my Baja Tele for the rhythm, 335 for the lead (naturally). Can't recall the settings, obviously some chorus on the rhythm and not sure of the lead patch but I think it sounds close to what I like to sound like.

Enjoy, look forward to future postings and interaction with this lively group. The BR is truly a great device, and I've owned lots - the Zoom H4, H2, HD16, Roland BR600, EX880, Yamaha AW16G. This one can do pretty much all they can and then some. The best $120 I've spent in a long time.. 

guitarron

welcome-
nice work
actually i use whatever works for inspiration-i'm working with Project 5 -ez drummerfor some drums-mostly using the BR600 but am getting a lot use out of the MBR as a field recorder

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

mduckworth73

Great jam!
  Can't wait to hear more.

SteveG

Purist?  ??? I got the MBR as I have to share the PC with 4 kids and a MySpace / Ebay addict! I do use the PC for sequencing drumtracks in Cubase / EzDrummer, and tidying up and polishing masters using Audition and Ozone. Also if I end up with a lot of bounces it is often better to transfer the tracks to the PC and mix in Audition. A lot of the time it's all MBR tho. Depends on what I am doing and who is on the PC. Use whatever tools you have mate!

Nice jazzy jam there, and good use of the editing features and drums too.

hooper

Great job there, Frank and welcome to the forum.
I think that's one of the best produced 'all M-BR' recordings I've heard yet.  The arrangement, performance, editing and mixing... it's all there.  I'm guessing there's a good bit of Walter Becker influence?  After the first couple of bars I was ready to start singing 'When Josie Comes Home' but that didn't last long.

Nice job. I like it!  :)

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

stujomo

Really nice sound song. Every time I come here I am inspired more and more. Steve I got the micro br for pretty much the same reason. After I get an audio card for the pc and start messing around with cakewalk and live 6 my wife and kids started to become interested in the pc so I got the br to kind of keep the peace. I want my wife to realise a laptop would be good for but no she won't have it.

Blooby

Sounds like it was recorded in Room 335.

Nice job.

Blooby

Fmarkow

Hey, thank you guys so much for all your gracious comments. It is nice to hear something about my music other than "can you turn that thing down, the kids are sleeping..." Seriously, everytime I listen to my BR tunes I am impressed just with the clarity and detail, I think the trick is mixing simply and not overdoing it (which I suppose is true for all recording).

Yea, and many of you caught my infuences - always been a big Dan fan, and of course Carlton and Ford are all-time heros. Some folks spot the Billy Gibbons as well.

Hey, any of you guitar players hear of Oz Noy - he is an avante-gard / jazz cat originally from Israel, now plays in NYC, hangs with Mike Stern, WIll Lee, the whole hip NY scene. Anyhow, if you get a chance check out his stuff, it will blow your mind. Hearing him made me said, 'uh-oh, back to the wood shed time..."

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder