If you use Internet Explorer, it's time to switch to an alternative web browser

Started by 64Guitars, January 19, 2010, 11:40:52 AM

Oldrottenhead

i use firefox but have google chrome not tried it yet will need to be good to beat firefox tho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Satchwood

Thanks 64!  Is IE the reason why the mp3 player doesn't always work?
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

cuthbert

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: Satchwood on January 19, 2010, 11:52:45 AMThanks 64!  Is IE the reason why the mp3 player doesn't always work?

I'm not sure. Some people have said that the song stops playing partway through. That has never happened to me with Firefox. However, on a few rare occasions, I have clicked the play button and nothing happened. Then I reloaded the page and it worked just fine. I suspect that issue has more to do with the server, but the stopping partway through may be Internet Explorer.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Mach

I'm using Firefox and Chrome. However I have IE as my default Browser. Some IT person once told me (and I know absolutely squat about this stuff) if I have IE as the default browswe but use the others it least likely to get a virus or hacker get through.  ??? Any truth to that?
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

I can't think of any reason why the default browser setting would make any difference. Firefox has been my default browser for about 10 years or more 6 years* and before that it was Netscape.

* Edit: Apparently, Firefox was first released in 2004. It seems like I've been using it much longer than that but I guess I'm mistaken. I remember that the first version was called Phoenix. Then it got renamed to Firebird for a short time, and then Firefox. I used Mozilla for a while too between Netscape and Firefox.
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

rraguse

I have been using Firefox for a few years now. Before Firefox I used Netscape Communicator.
I have never liked IE.

Flash Harry

IE is the safest browser to use, provided you are fully patched. It's designed to snap right into Windows and despite the vulnerabilities, you can guarantee that MicroSnot have teams of developers making sure that it doesn't let you down.

Windows Vista was a bit of a disaster, XP to my mind was excellent as was Windows 2003 server. They have got their act together and anyone doing serious computing (I look after the windows infrastructure for about 10000 desktops and 400+ servers) would be well advised to use the most recent version of IE that they can run. Anything else is just too difficult to manage and in my opinion a risk that is unnecessary. I'm not a fan of MicroSnot, but with their dominance in the market, if you are using their OS, its wise to use their browser.

I really liked Solaris 2.6. It used Netscape.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tony W

I've got 100 desktops and 10 servers. I force all my users to use IE, but I myself and my staff use firefox.

That default browser/virus stuff, I've never heard anything like that before.

Flash, have you played with Windows 7 yet? I've been resistant to upgrade from XP but Windows 7 isn't half bad. I wouldn't throw it on an old machine (3 years old or older is what I consider old for those of your who actually read this). Server 2008 is getting on my nerves. I'm running it on a development box and can barely find my way around. I feel like Stevie Wonder after somebody moved the furniture.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR