drum machines

Started by Glenn Mitchell, January 17, 2010, 11:23:19 PM

Glenn Mitchell

I see a couple of drum machines on Craig's list nearby and am  having a GAS attack.
There is a Boss DR880 ($350) and a Boss DR3 ($150). I know things are never as they are advertised.
Any suggestions or other drum machines people like for use with home recording?
(I have the Micro BR and just cannot get my head around programming drums)
Hydrogen is too confusing for me too. I need to drum while the music is playing.
I guess I need real time input but maybe the other guy's stuff always looks easier?.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

thouston

Quote...(I have the Micro BR and just cannot get my head around programming drums)...

IMO, if you think about arranging the drums in 'steps' in the MBR, it's very easy.

The MBR drums consists of six parts:

• ROCK1-IN (Intro)
• ROCK1-V1 (Verse 1)
• ROCK1-F1 (Fill 1)
• ROCK1-V2 (Verse 2)
• ROCK1-F2 (Fill 2)
• ROCK1-E (Ending)

and you arrange the drums in "AR:" (Arrangement mode), and be in Step mode. I always select a main verse i.e. Rock1-V1, and record a rhythm guitar (for example) 125 measure, which be the length of the song.

Than I go back and and insert the Fills in steps.

Think about when you play with a live drummer:

Step 1 - he counts off -1,2,3,4

Step 2 - he plays a 1 measure Intro

Step 3 - the band starts in on the main 'Verse (V1)', and plays until a 'bridge' (i.e. at measure 12) where he plays a 'Fill' (F1)  for 1 measure

Step 4 - the bridge lasts for 4 measures where the drummer plays a 1 measure 'Fill' (F2) and goes back to the main 'Verse' (V1) for another 12 measures

Step 5 - another 1 measure 'Fill' (F2) to the bridge, etc, etc
Tony Houston

Mach

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on January 17, 2010, 11:23:19 PMand a Boss DR3 ($150). I know things are never as they are advertised.
Any suggestions or other drum machines people like for use with home recording?
(I have the Micro BR and just cannot get my head around programming drums)

I have a DR-3 and it's fairly easy to program. The manual is a bit tricky but once you get use to the functions the manual will only be for special references. I like most of the drum and percussion instruments (sounds) but if you don't like one you can edit each one with several parameters. I use mine through a foot switch on my FCB1010 midi controller and you can play Bass parts with a keyboard midi controller. I've also inserted several drum grooves I've created in Sonar on the DR-3. Cool little machine.

As far as using the BR Drums it was very confusing at first but now it makes sense. Only thing you can't edit parts unless you record them first to a stereo track and edit them by cut & paste.
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

suburban behemoth

All my recordings were done with a BOSS DR-550. Not easy and downright frustrating if you loose power. But it has some great sounds.
recorder
Boss BR-864

Glenn Mitchell

This is an old thread. I ended up with the DR880 and have been very happy with it.
Now that I have Sonar, I'm simply importing loops and pasting them up rather than programming songs which I find slow.
I have yet to work out how to get separated parts rather than just stereo or to figure out how to get it to send MIDI so I can use Sonar's wider selection of kits.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks