Bass amps?

Started by bannybassman, January 17, 2010, 01:52:14 PM

bannybassman

Hi guys, I have a problem...
I need to buy a new bass amp but do not know which one to pick. There are sooo many out there, I'm very confused so please help  ???
I need the amp mainly for playing with my jazz band, practising and occasional gigs (school hall type venues). I need something which has enough power to be heard over a drum kit and a shed load of saxes and brass instruments too!
I would guess probably about 30 watts, maybe a bit more.
However, it needs to be light enough for me to be able to carry in for practice each week. (max of about 25lbs ish)
I need a nice clean sound from the bass and treble ends but am not too fussed about effects.
Not too hung up on brand either or price (within reason!!!)

I realise that this is a long list of requirements and that it may not be possible to meet all of them, the key for me is power to weight ratio!
Thanks in advance, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Banny
"A guitarist spends half his life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune"

LCB

I think you need more than 30 watts for that. More on the 100/150 mark. There are some new mini digital amps by TC Electronics, and the Prometeus line by Ibanez but have not tried them. A well tested portable rig is the GK mini combo with the 12 inch speaker. It is probably one of the best bets on the weight/watt ratio.

Mach

Quote from: LCB on January 17, 2010, 02:28:01 PMI think you need more than 30 watts for that. More on the 100/150 mark.

...and if it's portability you're after you might want to consider on of these.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA115-Bass-Amp-Series-Combo?sku=481777

A friend of mine has one and it's one of the best sounding combo amps I've played through. Nice tight, pronounced low end and not alot of controls to get in the way.
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

flyon90

bass amps generally need a larger amp than guitars to compete over a drum set much less a whole band, my little 12" 15 watts tube fender blues junior can compete against a drum set but you will most likely need something that has at least 50 watts of power if not more and nothing smaller than a 12" speaker. I would suggest looking at the ampeg or gallien kruger combos. Hell even a behringer ultrabass would probobly be fine for school band alot of people online say they hate behringer and probobly never even owned anything from them, any way I used to have a 210 guitar amp that never gave me any problems.

Flash Harry

Try a Line 6 Lowdown. They make a few different models with varying output power and portability. They have some nice modelling features too. If you're looking for flexibility they are well worth considering.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Agree that 30W will be a bit light on power. My son uses a Fender 60W Rumble bass amp and that's been great for all his band gigs (full electric rock band). It's 46lbs but pretty portable.

There is a 30W version of the Rumble as well.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

Don't no much about history...or gear for that matter but my history as a drummer tells me that Mesa Boogie kicks ass.

SharksDontSleep

There's always the Roland Cube bass range too.
There's a fair few different models, with a good variety of sounds. Plus they tend to throw in a few effects, just in case you're feeling adventurous!!

Ferryman

Quote from: Gritter on February 05, 2010, 12:45:42 PMDon't no much about history...or gear for that matter but my history as a drummer tells me that Mesa Boogie kicks ass.

Very true, but it kicks your wallet a lot harder.........  :D

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

madrab

Have a look at peavey. I have a Max 115. Warm sound, good features and loud enough. Bought it used for just over $200. Peaveys transtube-tech sounds really good.
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/113791/MAX®%20115.cfm