open string 'issue'

Started by henwrench, January 14, 2010, 07:23:57 AM

henwrench

got a brass saddled tele. My open B sounds like a sitar. This is not good. Any advice?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mach

Quote from: henwrench on January 14, 2010, 07:23:57 AMgot a brass saddled tele. My open B sounds like a sitar. This is not good. Any advice?

henwrench

Hmmm, that's strange. Don't know, maybe slip something under the string on the saddle to stifle it a bit, but that may plummet the tone. But first do a Indian Jhala tune  ;D
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

lg

You could try to raise the action up just a hair on that string only.

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Migs

If only the open string then it sounds like a nut problem -  up your headstock end rather than down pickup end. The groove where your string sits may be worn. New one will only cost about $5-10. I've never replaced one though.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Torren61

I think I'm with Migs on this one.  Sounds like you need a new nut.  If you want instructions on how to change it, let me know.

henwrench

Issue solved. Twas the 'break angle' of the string over the saddle. Simply restrung thru back of the 'ashtray' rather than than thru the body. Job done!!

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Torren61

Cheap fix, new lesson learned, playable guitar.  That's a win.

Speed Demon

Here's a fix for noisy or false overtones from a string.
Usually the odd ringing tones are caused by a worn or improperly cut string slot in either the bridge saddles or the nut. A poor breakover angle or, in the case of older instruments, a worn and rounded string slot. The breakover angle can be fixed by filing the slot. I use V shaped files for this work. Riffler files work fine for slotting for the small strings. Larger files will be needed for the wound strings.

The slot should be V-shaped, so the string contacts it at only two points. If the slot is rounded the string can roll around in it. Not good. False tones and frustration will occur.

If you are getting strange tones from a wound string the problem may be a slot that is just a bit too small for the string. The winding on the string can bind and cause this problem. Filing and slightly widening the slot will fix this problem. Be careful and work slowly. A few strokes of the file, then test the string for a proper fit. Repeat until you are satisfied with the results. A string should never contact the bottom of the slot. If it does, replace the saddle with a new one.

If you require luthier's tools, or any parts or finishes, a good site to visit is Stewart McDonald.
If they don't have it, it doesn't exist. And quick service as well. Ask them to send you their free catalog.
It will become your Christmas wish list very quickly.

http://www.stewmac.com

Gene

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Flash Harry

Quote from: Speed Demon on November 08, 2010, 04:52:55 AMIf you require luthier's tools, or any parts or finishes, a good site to visit is Stewart McDonald.
If they don't have it, it doesn't exist. And quick service as well. Ask them to send you their free catalog.
It will become your Christmas wish list very quickly.

http://www.stewmac.com

Gene

I bought a radius block from these guys, it arrived really quickly considering they had to post it to the UK. I now get the catalog posted to me regularly. I could spend thousands with them, but I'm married.

Good shizzle though.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.