My soapbox re Backers

Started by The Reverend 48, January 13, 2010, 06:03:51 AM

The Reverend 48

This is the one and only time I will climb on my soapbox :-[

As some of you know I mentor a bunch of musicians who are delving into the world of "Blues Improvisation". or playing "on the fly"
in my opinion is as valid expression of musical form as any other....
I am saddened that this site no longer feels a home for this type of expression......
I would ask all the musicians that look down your nose at playing over backers consider the following:
1. Can you play a solo over any music in one take?
2. What constitutes a backer ie how many of you use drum tracks or drum and drum and bass?
3. Is a loop considered a backer?
4. Is learning a cover song note for note any more or less difficult than "free forming"
I don't expect answers cos they are all subjective all I am doing is making a case for a form of music I enjoy
Anyway rant over  ;)
I will (unlike Wiley) continue to post till nobody ever visits the "ghetto" that is "backing tracks"

Pedro

My choice to create a backing track jams board was purely based on a organization point of view. Since there are some people here that like to post music in that format I thought they deserved a board of their own. So in fact I thought I was promoting that form of music.

I'm going to wait a few days to see if the board becomes active, if it doesn't I will merge it with the other boards.

Don't be annoyed by this, I know the changes are a bit overwhelming but I think everything will be alright. I completely understand everyone's point of view though, you registered on a different forum and feel out of place now.

The thing is, I believe in this change and I'm doing my best to expand the community and not lose the feeling. I really think this is possible.

Tony W

I really hope the site becomes more successful with the change in focus. However what is done can't be undone.

Unfortunately when the dust settles some things are buried and forgotten. I will continue on here. This community encouraged me to become more than just a camp fire guitarist, which is what I thought I wanted. I've started to become a musician.

48 above all else helped on that journey, but about 15 people contributed their time and effort to help me. I love them all. The comments on my music is what drove me to become better. Now that I'm so far removed from the mainstream, I almost want to PM people just to get a response. Pretty sad isn't it? Fortunately I am confident that I've become an average musician now, which is an incredible feat. I'm glad that I don't need the constant feedback even though I still crave it.

I only posted a new piece about once a month, there was no need before to punish listeners with efforts of a beginner, I'll still continue to post infrequently to see if people find my work.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

48, I hope it gets back to where it was for you. The whole site feels quiet. I hope it's because of the weather / changes settling in / Christmas aftermath. It will be a shame if it doesn't pick up. It's the people here as much as the music. I was saddened to see Wiley picked up her bed.

I'm glad you got up on your soap box.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Saijinn Maas

I've only had my cast removed and back to playing for two weeks now... But in the time I've been trying get my hand back into playing shape, I've notice the overall lack of... enthusiasm, I guess you can say, here. Without even realizing it, I noticed I've gone into the same mode here that I do when I visit Ultimate-Guitar, a site that I frequent but hardly ever post at.

Although I love the changes as far as aesthetics, it feels (to me at least) that this place has lost its personality. Now it feels like every other "music-related" website. At this point I can only hope most of the people I've come to know here are still around when I am recovered enough to start recording again.

As far as the backers go... I for one have always been a big supporter of the backers and primarily the challenges. Although I have noted some improvement in my own playing because of them, I am impressed by the progress of many here, especially those mentored by 48.

48, you've done an incredible job of tutoring many beginning guitarist and I have to take my hat off to you!

Torren61

I just got back from my trip and am still not quite into my usual groove.  I want to post and record more music and I really want to collab with people here.  The backing track thing...I'm not sure I understand but isn't music good?  I mean, if someone does a backing track or jam track for me to play with I think I like that idea.  I might have a few of those as well.

So, anyway, I'm trying to say that in a short time I'll be doing much more posting and I'm kinda digging the new look.  Different doesn't have to be bad.  This site is what we make it, isn't it?  Then let's make it coooool.   8)

Bluesberry

I think it is better organized to have the backer challenge posts in its own thread, as it is now.  I do not believe it marginalizes them or looks down on the efforts required.  Doing the backer challenges is important for learning your instrument, learning how to improvise on the fly, learning how to record, gaining confidence as a musician, having fun, having good natured challenges where we participate and get comments back, get a feeling of community.  The old system of having backer posts put in under original songs was not the best place.  We would do a backer chjallenge and 5-10 or so of us would post a version, and they would get lost and buried in the flood of all the other posts that were in the originals section.  Not everybody wants to hear backers (usually only the folks who do them would listen and comment on them anyway), so they would get lost and fall off the page.  Having backers in a seperate spot makes it easier for the participants to find all the latest posts.  Those folks that don't care for backer posts are not burdened with sorting through lots of posts looking for the new original songs (for example).  It does not marginalize the backer jams, it celebrates them and gives them a home where they are easy to find and do not get lost so easily.  Same with original songs, same with covers.  It makes sense to me to keep all these types of efforts seperate like it is now.  Otherwise we have one big post your work where everything goes in together, and it is all jumbled up.  That would not be good.  Lets keep these backer challenges going, lets keep that part of the site vibrant, lets have some fun with it.  I do not see it as bad having backers in its own spot, I do not see it as marginalizing or not taking backers seriously.  Whats wrong with a little organization, so it is easier to find the kind of music that interests each person.  Thats the way I see it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

henwrench

Well said BB. I think you've hit the nail on the head. Although I don't really comment on the backer stuff, I certainly appreciate a good guitarist when I hear one, and I sometimes wish they'd take time to thrill us all with their 'own' stuff. 48 asked whats harder, nailing the perfect cover is way harder because everyone has something to compere it to, ei. the original! Doing your own shit is easy 'cos no-one can tell you 'it's wrong' because I wrote it 'that way'.  I can't play any instrument, I just hack away at it and the conviction and passion thats coming across makes it seem 'real'. 48, I'd love a guitar lesson off you, but you're really ace and I know nothing and you're from Manchester but you play and sound like your from Detroit or somewhere  8) and you keep sayin' that you're 'an old bluesman' but so what? So is Seasick Steve and he's showin' the kids what it's all about...keeping it real.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gritter

QuoteI can't play any instrument

I beg to differ henwrench!

dwardzala

I am not sure where all the perceived "hate" is coming from regarding backers.  I will admit that I don't frequent that part of the site as much as other parts, but I also don't spend a lot of time on the originals page either.

I probably would participate more in the backer section, but having a BR600 (or 900 or 1200) is a bit of a handicap as you can't directly import an MP3 and up until recently I was unaware how easy it was to convert it to the right format.

Anyhow, playing over backers are another way to create music and that's really what this site is about.

Dave

BR-600