Guitar Amps

Started by henwrench, January 07, 2010, 05:46:04 AM

henwrench

I find myself at a crossroads, and was wondering if any of you good people out there can help...
    Basically, it's a toss up between the Vox AC4TV or the Blackstar HT5 combo and I'd like to know if anyone out there has got either of these two amps. I know the Blackstar is about £100 more than the Vox and has a few more knobs to fiddle with, but I've always loved simplicity and Vox's. I'm also a big fan of my guitar, a lead, a pick and nothing much else...Malcolm Young was the main reason I wanted to play guitar at the age of 8! I love guitar sounds that are responsive to touch - almost clean when tickling the strings but more crunch and bite when you hit it. Anybody know these amps well?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

I have neither and don't bother with an amp these days (a Zoom and a Boss MBR are enough for me) but am intrigued by the Blackstar. I hear so many good things about it I would also love to hear what others think.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

I guess thats a big, fat NO then...  :D

henwrench   xxx

recorder
Boss Micro BR

tony

I'm like Nigel and don't use amps much anymore so I'm conscious that I don't want to hijack the thread.  But you raise an interesting issue because you're choosing between amps and it got me thinking of what I would use an amp for these days.  I'm not playing with anyone and do it either into the MBR or into garageband.  Garageband has the best guitar patch (for me) and so I like to use that.  If I was buying a new amp, especially of the size that you are considering, I'd see if I could mic them first and then decide.

Justin_Case

I'm a total gear head - more gear than I will ever need.

Both of these are really nice, I like the Vox out of the 2 for flexibility.

As far a low wattage / simple amps go - the new Marshall Class 5 is really a nice package and over here I have one on the way that set me back $350 delivered.  A set of Humbuckers at @ 7 on the volume and your hearing early AC/DC Plexi Marshall tones.

Ferryman

Well, I am tempted by a small, compact amp to tuck into the corner of my study. Sometimes I just want to play and experiment without having the headphones on. The Blackstar stuff has got me intrigued but as a dyed in the wool Marshall man I may check out the Class 5 as Justin suggests.

Justin, how would you characterize the sound of the Blackstar? I know what I should be getting from both Vox and Marshall stuff.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Quote from: Justin_Case on January 07, 2010, 07:51:22 PMBoth of these are really nice, I like the Vox out of the 2 for flexiblity.

thats interesting to know...i do need to get to a place where I can have a good go on both.

yea, the COSM thing in my BR is incredible, and I usually just stick it thru my hi-fi amp (Marantz valve with Mourdant-Short studio monitors) and let rip that way, but I can't take that stuff aruond with me, hence the longing for an amp... in the past I've had an early 70's 50 watt Marshall combo and an AC30, and it hurts too much to think I ain't got 'em anymore but 'shit happens'!

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Justin_Case

In that you your open to COSM and modeling, you may really enjoy looking at the new Vox Valvetronix line.  

http://www.voxamps.com/valvetronix/vt-series/

An absolute amazing amp line for the money.  I was able to pick one up for X-mas, the VT15 for my son for $100 net, it was on sale and with a rebate of $50.00  The features are very well done and a great variety too.

2 really cool things are that the front end is tube driven and in addition to a gain and master, there is an attenuator also, so you really can play a low volume with out loss of tone.  

The amp has been in the living room since X-mas and every night I noodle with it and like it more and more.  I popped for the $50 to get the 5 button floor pedal, tough to do on a $100 amp, but was worth it.

Justin_Case

Quote from: Ferryman on January 08, 2010, 01:36:41 AMWell, I am tempted by a small, compact amp to tuck into the corner of my study. Sometimes I just want to play and experiment without having the headphones on. The Blackstar stuff has got me intrigued but as a dyed in the wool Marshall man I may check out the Class 5 as Justin suggests.

Justin, how would you characterize the sound of the Blackstar? I know what I should be getting from both Vox and Marshall stuff.

Cheers,

Nigel

I really thought is was great.  Tone range was very good.  Not as loud as the Marshall Class 5.  I like the effects loop in it, and a headphone out also. A little boxy sounding, but it is a small combo with a 10".  All in all a nice combo.  The going price is $425 to $500.  You get more with it than the Class 5, but it cost more.  The Vox AC4TV is only $249 here and with a sale - $175ish - a real nice amp for the money.

I was told that the Class 5 may soon be coming out in a head / cab combo.

Haven't used a Vox since about 1970 when I had a piggy back AC 30, beautiful sound when the valves were new. God this makes me feel old thinking about it.
recorder
Boss BR-800