New boards

Started by Pedro, January 06, 2010, 07:09:31 AM

Pedro

I'm thinking of adding some new boards as well as merging some old ones, tell me what you think:

• General Discussion
- General
- Introduce Yourself
  • Learning Center
- Songwriting
   + Promoting your music
- Guitars and Basses
- Keys
- Other instruments
  • Post your Work
- Original Songs
- Cover Songs
- Collaborations
- Backing Tracks jams
- Work in Progress
- Lyrics
  • Downloads
- General
- Backing Tracks
  • Home Recording
- General
- Multitrack

Have another suggestion?[/list]

mr2kewl

how ironic?

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?board=88.0

i just posted this question a matter of minutes ago.

BTW - you're doing a great job with this site.

8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Ferryman

I wouldn't have a work in progress board. If something is good enough to post and people want feedback, it should go in orginal songs, cover songs or collabs as appropriate. A separate WIP board will just become a board with very little traffic IMO. In fact, I would not separate out WIP at all. For song/material postings, we need fewer boards, not more. There is so much more activity in the original songs board after the merge that I spend most of my time there, I don;t have much time to check other boards. So I know I would largely ignore a WIP board through lack of time.

It makes sense to separate the learning center by instrument area because that makes it easier to find things - in those boards you don't want to be wading through lots of posts. For that reason I would be tempted to split guitar and bass apart. There will be lots of guitar postings and not many bass, so it will be hard to find the bass-specific postings among all the guitar stuff.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

- Collaborations
- Backing Tracks jams
- Work in Progress
- Lyrics

The current layout of those boards combined as they are now get no traffic. I don't see an advantage of splitting them out. That just adds more real estate to the

/index.php?action=forum

with no added value.

I'd base any changes off the site statistics. See where people are spending their time on the forum.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

mr2kewl

my suggested layout would be -

General Discussion
- General
- Introduce Yourself

Learning Center
- Songwriting
   + Promoting your music
- Guitars
- Basses
- Keys
- Other instruments

Post your Work
- Original Songs
- Cover Songs
- Collaborations
- Backing Tracks jams
- Lyrics

Downloads
- General
- Backing Tracks

Home Recording/Production
- General
- Multitrack
- Video
- DAW's

<><><><><><><><>

my question was about adding a video production board (see link above) with all of the UTube vids i see accompanying songs.

i also added the DAW's catagory which is another important factor in the production of quality music. i just don't know how far you want to take this forum as i'm sure there are forums out there that address my suggestions specifically. my thought is that if you're looking to expand this forum's marketability, then you might as well address all topics of home music production for those who come to look.

food for thought.

thanks for hearing my 2 cents worth.

8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Bluesberry

I like the breakdown.  I have always been in favour of breaking the post your work into distinct functional areas like this.  I like the idea of keeping original songs purely for finished original songs be they with lyrics or instrumentals, nothing else.  If we do this the posts to original songs shouldn't be too heavy, maybe 2 or 3 original new songs per day, really not hard to manage listening to that.   I would like to break it down even further and have original songs (with lyrics) and original songs (instrumentals), this way the threads will not get clogged with  all sorts of different stuff all the time.  For the browser it is easy to go the the thread that interests you first and check the stuff there, then wander down to the next interesting thread.  IMO this is the only way to keep this place from getting overloaded so it is impossible to keep up with the kind of music that interests each of us.  This was gives the most choice in what we want to listen to.

Then folks will have the time to wander down to the other spots after listening to the few new original ones.  

I also like the idea of a seperate thread for backing track jams, that way the folks interested in listening to these has one spot to check to catch all new posts like this.  And if you are not interested in listening to these backing track jams you just dont go to that thread.  Covers need to be by themselves also.  I like the idea for WIP, if somebody has a sketch of a song but has a lot more work to do on it but is looking for feedback this should not go in original songs and fill up that thread, this needs to have a spot.  Another thing is the sound experiments, somebody playing around wioth a new peice of gear or new sound and makes up a sound experiment.  This should not go in original songs if it is only a sound sketch, this should go in WIP/sonic experiments.  We dont want to clog up the original songs thread with all this stuff that we do now, that is why the original songs thread is kinda hard to manage still.  Lets keep it just for finished/demos of original songs.  I think having all these seperate threads is better organized and will slow down the posts in any one thread to the point where we will naturally visit more than one thread.  We will go to original songs, listen to the 2 or three new ones since last time, then go to covers, etc.  I like it.  

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Wiley

I think you should have a bump forum !!  Songs after so long that get bumped would go here!! A lot of newer songs are pushed back to the second pages and beyond do to bumping!!.  And a chat forum,   a lot of posters practically chat back and forth in their posts.  It's ok to comment and thanks, but this back and forth  chatting also pushes new songs to the rear!!!  There are pm's and such for this! I know If I like a particular artist I search there stuff out and go back through the posts. That"s why they are here. But bumping starts to get old.  I have done it on occasion also. But I try no to very often.  Just my opinion!!

henwrench

Quote from: wiley on January 07, 2010, 10:38:39 AMI think you should have a bump forum !!  Songs after so long that get bumped would go here!! A lot of newer songs are pushed back to the second pages and beyond do to bumping!!.  And a chat forum,   a lot of posters practically chat back and forth in their posts.  It's ok to comment and thanks, but this back and forth  chatting also pushes new songs to the rear!!!  There are pm's and such for this! I know If I like a particular artist I search there stuff out and go back through the posts. That"s why they are here. But bumping starts to get old.  I have done it on occasion also. But I try no to very often.  Just my opinion!!

I think PJ has hit the nail on the head here... I  still find that scince all the boards were merged, a hell of a lot of new posts are getting lost and slipping down a page or two far too quickly, and there are too many covers and backers being posted in the 'ORIGINAL'  songs board. A general 'chat'  board would be useful, or educate the fact that backers/collabs/covers need to be posted in their rightful place...I don't wanna piss on anybodies party but maybe certain posts should be put where they belong and help to keep this superb site clutter free and put the right posts where it matters. Take our good friend Greeny for example...now he ain't been here a couple o' weeks or more, when he does reappear, he's gonna find so much stuff in one place, it becomes impossible to catch up with it all... I'm here nearly every day and I find it hard to listen fully and give objective comments to all the excellent posts....it's like, WE GOTTA SLOW DOWN but at the same time how can you stall all the great new people (Nelson etc) from jumping aboard and posting great new stuff... oh, I dunno.... ma heed hurts

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Migs

Quote from: henwrench on January 07, 2010, 01:30:19 PMA general 'chat'  board would be useful,

Isn't that precisely what this "general discussion" part is?  I try to keep my inane banter here so as not to upset people in other parts.  I also set aside time to back and check things I may have missed and to be honest, the tracks with the highest number of comments are usually quality music.

You can try to educate people about putting stuff in correct parts of forums - but some just don't get it.  I've run lots of forums over the years and found the best way to keep things clean and in their right place is to have a few reliable, high frequency people appointed as moderators with power to move posts.  These superincharger people can then move topics to their correct home when they see them or delete (within reason) any individual posts.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Pedro

Regarding the organization, I think I will choose the following:

General Discussion
- General Discussion
- Introduce Yourself

Post your work
- Original Songs
- Cover Songs
- Collaborations
- Work in Progress
- Backing track Jams
- Lyrics