Adding Effects to Only Part of a Track, BR-600

Started by kurrykid, January 05, 2010, 03:16:23 PM

kurrykid

Can you add an effect to only part of a track?  I recorded the guitar part "dry" and I want to add different effects to it at various stages of the track.  I thought I might be able to "punch in/out" the effect on the track but looking through the manual, I don't see the option.

Thank you.

Dave

dwardzala

I think your only option here is to bounce copies to different tracks (not v tracks of the same one) one for each effect and then add the effects and delete the portions of each track that you don't want to hear that effect on then.  Then bounce all those tracks to one track.

Another option would be to do the copying and adding effects, download all the tracks to your computer and use audacity (free) or another audio mixing program to cut out the parts that you don't want the effects on.

I think option 2 is easier.
Dave

BR-600

64Guitars

Quote from: kurrykid on January 05, 2010, 03:16:23 PMCan you add an effect to only part of a track?  I recorded the guitar part "dry" and I want to add different effects to it at various stages of the track.  I thought I might be able to "punch in/out" the effect on the track but looking through the manual, I don't see the option.

Sure. Set the effects insert point to the dry guitar track (see page 95 of the BR-600 manual) and use bounce mode. This puts the insert effects between the previously recorded guitar track and the bounce destination track. While bouncing, you can toggle the insert effects on/off by simply pressing the [EFFECTS] button. You can also change the effect using the TIME/VALUE wheel while bouncing if you have enough quiet time between guitar sections. You don't want to change while the guitar part is playing because you'll record all of the different effects that you have to cycle through in order to find the desired effect. So, if you don't have enough quiet time between guitar sections to do that, then you'll have to do a separate bounce for each part so that you can select the right effect before you begin bouncing.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

thouston

QuoteI thought I might be able to "punch in/out" the effect on the track...

You can punch-in/out an effect by using a foot switch, like the DP-2: Damper Pedal http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=53, press the Utility button, scroll to System, Press CURSOR < - > and select "Foot SW." and select 'FX' .

The insert effect will alternate between on and off each time you press the foot switch.

I have a DP-2 and use it for 'punch in/out'.
Tony Houston

kurrykid

Thanks for the comments...I'll give them a try.

Dave