"Genesee"...title track from new CD

Started by Pine, January 02, 2010, 05:44:43 AM

Pine

Pinecats - Genesee Master
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hope everybody enjoyed the holidays and is ready for the long winter ahead. I'm finally heading back into the studio with a new album as my goal. This album will be almost entirely instrumental and all done with live mics and acoustic instruments. The "theme" of the album will focus on the river that runs through the valley below this cabin i built 33 years ago...and still call home today. The songs will try to generate good imagery of the flora, fauna, and history of the Native Americans and first white settlers to come here. It's a challenging goal...especially in light of the fact that i'm total amateur on the instruments i plan to use. Below is the title track...which will probably be the only song on the album with vocals. This is a demo and not the final edition.

"Genesee"

ON THE HIGH NORTHERN END OF THE APPALACHIAN MOUNTAINS
IS WHERE THE ALLEGHENY HILLS ARE FOUND
FROM THE HARDWOODS AND THE PINE NEAR THE PENNSYLVANIA LINE
A RIVER SPRINGS TO LIFE ON RURAL GROUND

GENESEE, GENESEE, LIKE NO OTHER RIVER, FLOWIN' TO THE SEA
     GENESEE, GENESEE, GENESEE RIVER VALLEY..IS HOME SWEET HOME TO ME

NOW RIVERS FLOWIN' NORTH WELL YA KNOW THERE AIN'T TOO MANY
BUT SHE CAN'T RESIST THE GREAT LAKES CALL
FIND A SWIMMIN' HOLE OR GRAB A FISHIN' POLE
FOR SOON THE RED AND GOLD WILL START TO FALL

CHORUS

BRIDGE
        SOMETIMES LATE AT NIGHT, WHEN  THE CAMPFIRES BURNIN' BRIGHT
        A MIND GOES DRIFTIN' BACK IN TIME
        THE SENECAS ARE THERE, HUNTIN' DEER AND BEAR
        PIONEERS AND TRAPPERS ON THE LINE

INSTRUMENTAL BREAK

NOW HAVE YOU HEARD THE THUNDER OF HER WATERFALLS
OR SEEN THE RAINBOWS DANCIN' IN THE SPRAY
AN EAGLE CIRCLES HIGH, LIKE AN OMEN IN THE SKY
MAKES A 'BODY WANNA KNEEL AND PRAY

CHORUS

ONTARIO CALLS, LIKE A MOTHER TO HER BABY
TOGETHER AS ONE FOR EVER MORE
ST. LAWRENCE RIVER IS THERE TO DELIVER
THE GENESEE, TO THE OCEAN'S DOOR

CHORUS
recorder
Boss BR-1200

mr2kewl

pinedog!

this is an absolute premium example of Bluegrass as you can get.

even though i'm fully immersed in Jazz, i spent a couple of years in a Asheville, NC and enjoy the genre immensely.

great post!!

8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Oldrottenhead

bloody nora this is awesome pinedog, i'm gonna be listening to this all day long
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Vanncad

Awesome lyrics Pinedog, thanks for posting them.

This is really good songwriting, and the performance sounds pretty damn near studio quality to me already.

Excellent piece of music man.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Wiley

Yes Pine Dog you have set high goals for the year!!  But if this is your starting song, You are well on your way.  This was great!!     Your album will be great!!

Bluesberry

This is very good stuff P-dog.  I love it.  I like that bass line, simple but very in the groove of the song.  Great acoustic playing.  Great bluegrass voice.  This is one of the strongest songs I have heard from you (I still love that Shot in the Arm song and listen to that one a lot).  Very strong songwriting here.  This is a Hit for sure.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tangled Wires

Totally professional sounding song this and extremley well written. Particulary love the drum beat that comes in during the chorus and the solo that follows it. Not the sort of music that I would usually listen to, but really do have to marvel at everything in this song!!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pine

Many thanks you guys...i appreciate the positive feedback especially in light of me feeling like i'm on rather thin ice here musically and vocally and all.

Andrew, anytime anybody thinks my songs sound "professional", i'm a happy guy ;-)
The drums are not acoustic...wish i had a nice big djembe...

Dave...my bass line was a disaster. I finally asked my old bandmate gabe to do it and i liked his approach. Solid and simple. He also did the harmony vocal parts on the choruses but i plan to replace them with my own and do three part if possible. As for it being a "hit"..my neighbor says if i changed it to "tennesee" it would be...lol. That ain't gonna happen.

Wiley you are fountain of enthusiasm. Thank you. I am excited about the album ... and think that it will at the very least be a great learning experience.

Vann...thanks for listening. Lyrics mean alot to me and it's hard to write really good ones...which is one reason the rest of the album will be instrumental ;-)

ORH...Nora...nora...could that be Mary's sister? I know her...only too well. Glad you liked her and thanks for commenting..

Mr2cool...Jazz is great stuff. Best of luck with that. The virtuosity it takes to play it well is akin to that of bluegrass. I will never be able to play REAL bluegrass...too many years and too little talent. The folks down Ashville way are steeped in the tradition to be sure. Beautiful country there. Love the Smokey Mountains. Seems evrybody down there plays an acoustic instrument. Not here. I more or less "paint" with my mountain instruments. Speed is not in my pallette. Wish it was...
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Oldrottenhead

bloody nora is a politer way of saying fmgwabp lol. if you hit your thumb with a hammer you can say that if there are kids around lol. but it is an exclamation of surprise, it can be used in the negative but here i used it in the positive.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pine

Thanks for improving my international understanding of your linguistic expressions!

You English chaps have always been more polite than us ungrateful Colonials... ;)
recorder
Boss BR-1200