Top 100 Recording Tips and Tricks (link)

Started by Vanncad, December 28, 2009, 08:34:45 AM

Vanncad

I got a Shure SM57 for Christmas and was looking around for some recording techniques when I stumbled across this.

Top 100 Recording Tips and Tricks

It has some interesting tips for anyone who is interested.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

dwardzala

I have picked up these tips from various books/sites and they have served me well.

Record things dry as opposed to with effects.  The effects can be added later, but if you record with them, your stuck with them.  A variation on this is to split your signal and run it to your amp and direct into your recorder giving you more flexibility without having to do extra takes.

Use virtual tracks to record your "rehersals".  You never know when you might hit that perfect riff.

Check your mixes on several different systems/sets of speakers.  I like to use headphones, computer speakers, my home theater and my car.

Dave

BR-600

IanR

Thanks, lots of good advice in the list and I'm only up to the 20s.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

i got lost in the link gonna be late for work now lol. cheers vanncad really interesting stuff there.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Thanks very much for this.  I'm always looking for a few more sonic arrows for the quiver (That sounds faintly naughty).

I posted some notes from a mixing/mastering book a while back as well. It's definitely more specific, but it might help somebody.

Thanks again, Vanncad.

Blooby