Bury Me In Bluegrass

Started by Farmjazz, July 05, 2008, 12:44:37 PM

Farmjazz

I noticed this section is getting very little traffic.

Here's a song done only with the on-board mic, (OBM). I would invite others to add whatever by using just the OBM as an experiment. There's room for all kinds of acoustic instruments and vocal harmonies.

The piece is sparse and was done on three tracks with no bouncing. First takes with very little clean-up, (I took out about 2 1/2 measures of dobro). The 4/4 metronome in the headphones got picked up by the OBM - too hot I guess, oh well.

This sad tune laments the loss of rural land, family farms, etc. to developers. Those of you outside America might not relate to this as much, because your history is much, much older than ours. 

Oldrottenhead

great stuff, could you post the lyrics i might try some harmonies with it.

yeah this forum should be seperate lost of good stuff gets lost here.
pedro take note
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Farmjazz

Lyrics:

Bury Me In Bluegrass

Huey was a Captain with Andy Jackson
settled in Kentucky on a soldier's pay.
It was two hundred acres and for almost as many years
the land has borne my family's name.
You can count the generations like circles in a tree
on tombstones you can barely read.

Will you walk with me through the blue-green pasture?
I want to see the horses run one more time.
You can lay me down beside the ones gone before me;
bury me in bluegrass when I die.

Uncle Henry sells computers, he never learned to farm.
Sold his part to Daddy when Grampa died.
Mom and Dad are old now, and they say they're gonna move
to where the weather is always warm and dry.
The buyers signed the note today. They're gonna build a mall
with plans to break ground in the fall.

Will you walk with me through the fields of burnish?
I want to see leaves of gold one more time.

They nailed a sign up yesterday ... I just don't understand,
To me, its more than just a piece of land.

Will you walk with me through the peaceful valley?
I want to see the harvest moon one more time.

Bury me in bluegrass ...

Farmjazz

Hmmm. Well, not exactly what I had in mind but a good laugh all around, eh?

galestermusic

Awesome heart felt song! Farm do you publish or copyright your work? If not you should it's on here and you have more than enough witnesses, but I honestly believe this song could do well. I'm from WV and I know people in KY and I have lived in OK. I've seen the rural landscape disappearing. Just think it's a great song!

Farmjazz

Greg -

This is a great song, but I did not write it. It was written by Kate Campbell, Ira Campbell, and Johnny Pierce. I know it by hearing Laurie Lewis' version. It's on her Laurie Lewis and the Right Hands album "The Golden West." I'll clarify the original composer(s) in future posts. Sorry to cause any confusion there.

The object of the post was to inspire some folk musicians to add parts to it, such as mandolin, banjo, fiddle, etc. using the on-board mic as an input source only. Harmony vocals, too.

I am curious to see if there are any acoustic hillbilly type musicians lurking on this site and if they are using the MICRO BR in their work. If you're out there, folkies, chime in. Your music is just as valid as any other, (of course, you know that). I've come to appreciate good barn dance music, too. That stuff kicks butt!

Check out Uncle Earl, The Stairwell Sisters, The Troublesome Creek Stringband, Dirk Powell, Reeltime Travelers, Chocolate Drops, and Riley Baugus among others. 

Anyway, I do this song with my band occasionally - especially if we're doing a historic-based gig. We do mostly old time string music, western swing, tin pan alley, standards, and some originals in those veins. It took me a long time to be able to 'get through' this one without choking up while singing it. Running a small 'gentleman's hobby farm' I can relate to the attachment to the land.

I get into all types of (good) music and when it comes to performing, its necessary, for me anyway, to get my brain fully absorbed into the genre before I can really play it. Like an actor studying a part. When I sing a western swing number, in my mind, I am Tommy Duncan. Anyway, blah, blah, blah.

Mudhut

Farmjazz, I missed this one thanks to oldrottenhead it's been bumped back up. Love your voice on this, what a great song. Thanks for posting
Keep on rocking in the free world :)

madrab

Beautiful song and recording. I was about to write that I couldn't, even in my wildest dreams, add anything, but it is precisely in my dreams that I contribute to songs like this. Very good dobro — not too much.

I can really relate to what you write about absorbing everything about the genre when you are about to play music. This is especially true when it comes folk music.

I will check out those bands, thanks.

Flash Harry

What a poignant song. You Americans do melancholy so much better than us Brits. (Unless of course you're Scottish, then you can stab yourself as you sing and make it sound good).
The sound of the slide guitar is so atmospheric. I'm putting the original on my PiePod, sorry ORH. BTW Wickes sell a Dmissuser, it's called a patio. ;D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Beautiful. Not to mention authentic. I can hear The Band doing this. Which is a (very) good thing.

:)