Drum programming? So many options I'm confused.

Started by Glenn Mitchell, December 23, 2009, 01:42:10 PM

Glenn Mitchell

Ok I loaded a preset and got it going fine. This is looking great.
How would one record from the BR900 program to Audacity? It doesn't seem to have an export option under File. Just exit.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

launched

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on December 23, 2009, 02:34:00 PMOk I loaded a preset and got it going fine. This is looking great.
How would one record from the BR900 program to Audacity? It doesn't seem to have an export option under File. Just exit.

You have to hit the record button in Audacity while playing the BR900 program. It's realtime, bro.

If it doesn't record, you may have to pick the input in Audacity's settings.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

cuthbert

What Mark said.

Go to Audacity preferences and set your Audio I/O Recording Device to Built-in Microphone/Built-in Output, and set your Channels to 2 (Stereo).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

henwrench

Quote from: henwrench on December 23, 2009, 02:27:31 PMour far eastern cousins don't recognise 0 as a starting point, it's always 1.

yea, weird that one. Like in Japan, on the day you are born, you are 1. It's your first birthday because it's the first time you were alive on that day. So when it is what we call your first birthday, in Japan they recognise it as 2, because it's the second time you were alive on that day. Mad, innit?   ;D ;D

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Glenn Mitchell

Fabulous guys.
I now may have a few days of info to sort thru but I'm determined to get it.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

Glenn Mitchell

QuoteGo to Audacity preferences and set your Audio I/O Recording Device to Built-in Microphone/Built-in Output, and set your Channels to 2 (Stereo)

I opened Edit/Preferences and, tho there is no "Audio Recording device" option or any sign of "Built-in Microphone/Built-in Output" options anywhere. but under "Devices" I get several options:
1.Host - MME or Windows Direct sound
2.Playback - Soundmax digital audio(My sound card I assume.)
                 The other option is MS sound Mapper
3.Recording - Soundmax digital audio or MS sound mapper.

To test I hit play on the BR900 and can hear it playing ok.
Then I tried the various options described and hit record and get a flat line.

They don't seem to do the trick yet.
I'm thinking there are a few other knobs to tweak elsewhere yet?

I'm using Audacity V1.3.10 beta. but neither was there that "Built-in Microphone/Built-in Output" option in V1.2.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

tony

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on December 23, 2009, 01:42:10 PM4 Build them up from a samples parts list. Does anyone know of other inexpensive and reasonably simple drum arrangement programs?

I kept going at this problem for a while.  I've taken to editing the loops in Garageband but I know that you are not a mac user and that is not what I am advocating.  When I get over the current financial woes (and who hasn't been spending money like a sailor on leave over the past week or so?) I have my sights set on the EZDrummer program.  For all my investigations it seems the best value for money once you leave the MBR or the native software that you might have in your computer.

There is a cost for the initial package and then, if you wish, you can buy extension packs.  They are samples rather than computer generated drum sounds - the funk extension pack was recorded by Clyde Stubblefield and Jabo Starks, and they were the drummers for James Brown - and from what I've heard it sounds good.  The thing is that I haven't been able to find a sample program in any of the shops that I have been in, and there might be something in that although I don't know what.

What seems good about it is that you can build tracks from an extensive loop library or from scratch.  If you are like me then you want more rhythms and less drum kits, and a greater ability to play with the fills.  This seems like the best price version to let you do that. For what it is worth, and I think their reviews are generally very good, Sound On Sound gave it a pretty high rating.

If I ever pay off xmas and get one, I'll let you know what they are like.  Good luck.

cuthbert

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on December 23, 2009, 03:59:23 PMI opened Edit/Preferences and, tho there is no "Audio Recording device" option or any sign of "Built-in Microphone/Built-in Output" options anywhere. but under "Devices" I get several options:
1.Host - MME or Windows Direct sound
2.Playback - Soundmax digital audio(My sound card I assume.)
                 The other option is MS sound Mapper
3.Recording - Soundmax digital audio or MS sound mapper.

Sorry, I'm on Mac (probably should have mentioned that). I'll give it a try on Windows soon as I get a chance.

However, poke around all the different options there (one at a time) and try recording the output from the BR-900 CD Rhythm Editor - you are bound to hit on right combo eventually.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Glenn Mitchell

Thanks Tony and Cuthbert.
Tony I may end up buying one as you suggest.
Cuthbert. I have tried all combinations and have resigned myself to not being able to figure it out.
I'll wait for my tech son to come an trouble shoot. It's probably a computer problem rather than a program problem.
I'm going to start a new thread for the BR900CD hoping to work with this alone and export.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum