Michael Hedges - Phenomenal guitarist

Started by Blooby, December 22, 2009, 10:10:29 AM

Blooby

Michael Hedges was a guitarist who got lumped into the new age crowd through his affiliation with the Windham Hill label.  For those of you who haven't checked him out, I urge you to do so. He has created almost an entire genre of acoustic guitar music, influencing everybody from Kaki King to Steve Vai in the process. Aerial Boundaries is one of the most beautiful acoustic guitar records I've ever heard.

The video below is the title tune from the aforementioned Aerial Boundaries. The music begins at about 3:00.

As a novelty, here's a live excerpt from the vocal tune "Face Yourself" with Michael Manring on bass.  This version is not as solid as some I've heard, but check out the twenty second held note.  I realize it's gimmicky, but it's still impressive as hell.

Time:
0:00
Volume:

T.C. Elliott

I have a couple of his albums. Good stuff. I was sad when he passed.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

teleno1

I was lucky enough to meet and play with Michael back in the early eighties. He was playing and writing music at a very high level. I remember he was talking a lot about Shiela E. I think he has influenced more musicians than most people realize. His music, and technique still stand above the crowd. If you can. I suggest picking up the book (Rhythm, Sonority, Silence) he did with John Stropes. John has done more to further the art of fingerstyle guitar than anyone I am aware of.