A Minute of My Morning by henwrench

Started by henwrench, December 22, 2009, 04:55:52 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: henwrench on December 23, 2009, 10:41:53 AMI'd love to know what Pedro and 64 Guitars have thought about all this kerfuffle. A Real Debate?

So far, it hasn't been necessary to post a lot of rules about this site. To me, there's really only one rule that we all need to keep in mind:

Don't make it personal!

It's okay to disagree as long as the discussion doesn't degrade into insults and slander toward other members. This topic has come quite close to being personal but I don't think it crossed the line, so I didn't feel the need to intervene. I think the whole thing has been an unfortunate misunderstanding. Some people felt like they were the victims of a prank and objected. I think it's clear now that there was no prank, so I hope we can all forgive each other and move on.

In another topic, you wrote:
QuoteI crave the day when someone on this site listens to one of my tunes and says 'Sorry, this shit stinks'. So feel free everyone and inject some honesty into 2010.

I have to disagree with this. In music and art, there is no good and bad, only personal likes and dislikes. What one person likes, another can't stand, and vice-versa. So attaching negative labels like "shit", "crap", and "garbage" to someone's music is pointless, unfair, and insulting. These kind of generalisations suggest that the music has no value whatsoever to anyone. But that's simply not true. All music has value to someone.

One of the greatest strengths of this site is that people can post their songs and get a lot of generous support and encouragement. Why spoil that by posting negative comments about a song? If you don't like someone's song, the best thing to do is to say nothing. If other people like it, let them.

Quote from: henwrench on December 23, 2009, 10:41:53 AMAs far as my description of 'A Minute of My Morning' goes, it's called irony. It's a Brit Thing. We can't help it. It's in our gene's...

That reminds me of the opening track "Preface" from Robert Fripp's 1979 "Exposure" album. It starts off with him saying "Can I play you some of the new things I've been doing which I think could be commercial". Then it goes into some strange choral thing that is anything but commercial. I thought it was funny. A great album, by the way, with some interesting ideas. Check out the vocals on "NY3" from that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF5Xi0XV6N8

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

OsCKilO

daft? You sayin osckilo are silly. . . Lol
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Tony W

Osckilo, that reminds me. I thought you suffered from split personalities when I first joined the site. I missed where the Osckilo name came from thread......

Osckilo are silly.... as a collective. That threw me off early on.

Now I know that you are just a lunatic, but don't suffer from multiple personality disorder! My family is safe again......  ;D

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

I'm Under YOur Stairs Tony!!!

Lol!!!

Osckilo Were 4 People....

Then they were one.......

Then One and "a Bit"......

Now Two (Come Monday)......

This Isn't to mention everyone that has ever contributed who is also Osckilo.....

Tiz a Collective.... For Whoever Wants to play!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

AndyR

Looks like I been missin' some interesting stuff while I've been busy elsewhere!  :D

I listened to the track first and then read the thread... so it was almost like I was reading it as it happened... (except I haven't read any of the "back-story" threads that have been quoted)

I can't say I "get" the track, but I did kinda like it listening to it (and this was before I read any of the controversy, mind!). It's nothing like anything I'd attempt myself, or would want to listen to very often, but it does speak to me in some way.

I'd like to add this to the pot: there is a lot of material I hear on here that I do "get", but that doesn't speak to me at all. But this one touched me emotionally somehow - thanks for posting it :)

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ferryman

I've missed this one and the controversy, I echo 64G's comments above. In my view this is a soundscape that has been assembled and produced, there's definitely some real creative work in there. IMO it's not just noise. Bits of it created some interesting aural patterns and I've certainly heard worse (or duller) things on some more "challenging" discs that I have paid money for. I enjoyed seeing Duchamp's "Fountain" in SF MOMA, which was apparently selected in 2004 as "the most influential artwork of the 20th century" by 500 renowned artists and historians. That's a "found" object (a urinal) taken out of context and presented as art. This is probably the aural equivalent of the found object approach to art, Henwrench has taken several "found" aural objects and presented them as "music" (and he's probably put more work into this piece than Duchamp did with "Fountain").

Nothing wrong with posting it here - I use soundscapes quite a lot, although in a far more conventional manner. Did I enjoy it? Not as much as Henwrench's other stuff, which I find far more engaging. But it passed a minute and made me think.

I'd better stop now as I am sounding like the South Bank Show.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gringo

This is what frightened me. It is bad and I not understand how music it can be listened to or made for pleasures.  ???
ADMIN APPROVED PRANKSTER

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gringo on January 26, 2010, 03:30:41 PMThis is what frightened me. It is bad and I not understand how music it can be listened to or made for pleasures.  ???
HaaaaaaaHaaaaaHaaaaaa, sorry I am not laughing at you Gringo, but I am laughing at the way this little experiment had such extreme reactions from the good folks on here.  Your quote made me almost choke on my coffee.  Is it shit, is it brilliant, is it the scariest thing ever heard, is the military secretly funding Henwrench so he can develope the ultimate weapon, a song so dastardly, so evil that it will render all who hear it insane.  It is such a hoot.  This crazy little peice of nothing has had a huge impact on here.  I still like it in a freakishly strange way.  I would not want to listen to this for 1 hour straight, thats where the defensive application of this peice comes in (instant insanity for all who dare take this beyond 1 hour of listening).  Whoooo Whooo.  I am still laughing, I guess that is a good reaction.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

henwrench

Nice one, BB. Funnily enough I was seriously considering doing 'An Hour of My Morning'. Unplugged, of course  ;)

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR