Collab Site Etiquette

Started by Torren61, December 21, 2009, 05:18:45 PM

T.C. Elliott

I've been involved in similar conversations on other sites. The FAWM.org site for instance. Feedback is welcome and even encouraged. Things you notice that do or don't work for you is helpful. But saying something in the song is wrong.. well that's plain wrong. Over there we make a distinction between the song and the performance. And sometimes a performance can hinder the ability to relate the song or the performance is excellent but there are aspects of the song that don't work for a particular listener. Here pretty much both sides are in consideration at once since this isn't a songwriting forum. Nor is it solely a recording forum or a players forum. Luckily for us it is all three.

It's easy really. Always be respectful and encouraging while being honest. We'll be pretty safe if we do that.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

dwardzala

Quote from: Pigfarmer Jr on December 22, 2009, 08:04:07 AMIt's easy really. Always be respectful and encouraging while being honest. We'll be pretty safe if we do that.

This is key to giving (and receiving for that matter) constructive criticism.  Another thing I try to practice is to make sure I say at least one good thing (and preferably more) about the song for every criticism.

I actually want to receive constructive criticism because it provides me with areas to improve.

One final note - there is a lot of feedback given on the performance and the songwriting (lyrics, chords, etc used in a song) but very little feedback on the production (mix, panning, eq, etc) of the song.  I'd like to see more of that (and will try in the future to provide more of it myself).
Dave

BR-600

Ted

Quote from: Pigfarmer Jr on December 22, 2009, 08:04:07 AMIt's easy really. Always be respectful and encouraging while being honest. We'll be pretty safe if we do that.

You call that "easy?"

I'd love to see more honest, respectful criticism on this site.  But perhaps we all have seen where the slippery slope leads: Spend about 30 seconds reading the comments on any random YouTube video.

What we have here is more subtle, and indirect.  It requires a bit of interpretation.  Call it "damning by faint praise" or "damning by no praise" or Maximum Shit Ratio.

I think I'd like to see the "Good Post/Bad Post" module installed on the forum. This would serve as a quick way of giving a thumbs up to a good post, or a thumbs down to a bad post--or even a thumbs down to a jerk comment (scant as they are here). It would also allow us to filter out all of the bad comments (i.e. comments regarded as "bad" by more than a few members).

Wouldn't it be nice, after a few days away from the forum, to come back and review only the songs, comments, and threads that have been getting positive responses from the community?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Torren61

Man, you guys are just too cool.  How did I not know of this site over the five years I've been recording to computers?

I'm just goona apply the advice I've given my boys on the best way to navigate through life:

Don't be a dick.

Bluesberry

Or if you do have to be a dick sometimes, stand firm for what you believe in  ;)

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

Quote from: Bluesberry on December 22, 2009, 11:17:54 AMOr if you do have to be a dick sometimes, stand firm for what you believe in  ;)

Absolutely. Where would we all be today if it weren't for firm...  y'know.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Tony W

Quote from: SteveB on December 22, 2009, 05:22:34 AM
Quote from: henwrench on December 22, 2009, 05:11:51 AMI whole heartedly agree with your viewpoint on this subject. I crave the day when someone on this site listens to one of my tunes and says 'Sorry, this shit stinks'. So feel free everyone and inject some honesty into 2010. It won't kill ya!
                                            henwrench

HWH - I assure you that if I feel less-than-enamoured with any songs that you upload that I happen to hear, I will tell you that I don't like it and, perhaps more importantly, why I don't like it.
Quoted for truth! LOL Steve, I admire that about you.

I doubt I will ever tell anyone that their music sucks, mainly because that is my sole opinion at the time. I could listen to it 2 hours later in a different mood and be completely enamored with it. Or it could still suck because it's not my flavor.

One thing that always stands out to me, People pour their soul into their music, and who am I to judge their soul? I respect anyone who is willing to post their work, and whether I like it or not, I respect that they posted it.

On collabs.... I'm not much of a collabber yet, but I intend to be when I hone my skills enough to the point where:
A) somebody wants me
B) I feel I can add value musically
C) somebody is making a light hearted fun song where I can be goofy

When those times arise, I will treat the originator with the utmost respect and give him/her what they ask for.... and probably more (just ask PJ about Opera Man)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: TedWouldn't it be nice, after a few days away from the forum, to come back and review only the songs, comments, and threads that have been getting positive responses from the community?

Firstly, easy as in simple. Secondly, it IS easy. If you can't be encouraging and respectful and honest then don't leave a comment. TADA! Like magic only without the wires.

Thirdly, you can be positive without being false. Ie, if you truly thing something can be improved upon then encourage them in a positive manner. If someone is terribly out of time to the point it annoys you *raises hand in guilt* it is your duty to mention the fact. But do it in a positive manner and not a negative one. Encourage them to improve, give them the tools to do so or at least suggestions to get started. Always be respectful of them as a person and their feelings and don't lie to make someone feel better or worse. That's the honest part.

I do understand the point being made that pointing out a weakness can be discouraging. But be careful how your phrase things and always keep the posters best interest at heart and generally things work out well.

Btw, thank you to everyone who has commented on my songs. I do appreciate it.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Tony W

Piggie

Excellent point. To be honest, I've posted pure shit on this site. I'm a beginner, it is expected. I've gotten replies that were encouraging by the boatloads, and never once was I offended.
A few times, I deserved a beating for a post :) I for one would have appreciated and respected any opinion ever posted. If you take the time to listen, then you have the right to be honest.
Without the help, support, and honesty of the people here, not to mention free lessons (plug for 48) I would have quit trying to be a musician.

You don't have to beat me up, but you can damn sure help me along a path any time. I want it, and most importantly need it.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Quote from: Ted on December 22, 2009, 10:29:03 AMI think I'd like to see the "Good Post/Bad Post" module installed on the forum. This would serve as a quick way of giving a thumbs up to a good post, or a thumbs down to a bad post--or even a thumbs down to a jerk comment (scant as they are here). It would also allow us to filter out all of the bad comments (i.e. comments regarded as "bad" by more than a few members).

I don't think this is a bad idea, but I'm not sure I want to be filtered out for making a neutral post. After all did spend 3.5 or more minutes listening to the poster's mp3, which deserves some recognition  :D  I suppose the viewing member should be afforded the choice as it would cut down on the time it takes to scan a thread. Maybe add a checkbox for showing Extreme Panhole Coments - I love those!

My biggest nightmare would be checking comments on one of my own posts with this feature enabled - It probably would just have a couple of posts of me thanking people for the wonderful comments!  I would feel like such a retard  ;D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover