Collab Site Etiquette

Started by Torren61, December 21, 2009, 05:18:45 PM

Oldrottenhead

the thing i find hardest is wanting to post something before everyone involved has heard the finished or near complete song, there are about 5 or 6 unfinished jemima's kite songs i am dying to post but mike (flash harry) is snowed under with work and hasnt had time to make his contributions to the songs yet. so on the jk front lots to look forward to, i also have a few other collabs on the go that have yet to see the light of day. i get so excited with the songs i am involved with i just want to put the out, patience is not my greatest virtue, but it is through enthusaism that i want to share them. but yes there is an ettiquette to be observed, but that is not a fixed thing, for people who i collaborate with on a regular basis, we know pretty much the score, but when working with someone new, communication and getting to know them is pretty important. so pm ing and emailing and be clear in your communication with one another isa important. but remember its fun too.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveB

Quote from: henwrench on December 22, 2009, 05:11:51 AMI whole heartedly agree with your viewpoint on this subject. I crave the day when someone on this site listens to one of my tunes and says 'Sorry, this shit stinks'. So feel free everyone and inject some honesty into 2010. It won't kill ya!
                                            henwrench

HWH - I assure you that if I feel less-than-enamoured with any songs that you upload that I happen to hear, I will tell you that I don't like it and, perhaps more importantly, why I don't like it.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Torren61 on December 21, 2009, 05:18:45 PMthis is a cool guy and he hasn't said one word about it. 
 the guy who did the track plays guitar really well and does Gilmour to a T.
Thanks for the compliments ;)
Torren please bear in mind that the post your own work has been reformatted and the post your backer section was added so we all have been finding our feet the etiquette thing is very laid back...........
My own guidelines are simple :P
If somebody says they are up for a collab they will make it clear to ensure you get feedback post your take in a new thread............
If in any doubt pm and ask them.........
As Osckilo says anybody should be honoured if another musician wants to collab....
Mike

Wiley

Honesty is ok Henwrench but as an example. The first band I played with wouldn't let me sign, I wasn't good enough!!.  I struggled on anyway.  My point being.  If you tell some one something isn't any good. It could completely discourage them from striving to be better.  A little ego stroking gives a lot of encouragement to try bigger and better things.  I would still be doing country exclusively if everyone was truthful about some of the stuff I have pulled on here. Instead with their stroking I have jump out of my box numerous times even so far as to do 2 Pirate songs!!!  So I say stroke away!!

henwrench

I'm a great believer in equal and exact opposites, that is - many people away from this site have listened to some of my tunes and condemed them as the worst thing they've ever heard (I's on the Horizon being a good example). This response thrilled me to the core because I'd managed to evoke true feeling amongst the music listening public instead of a 'Oh, that's nice...' kind of reaction. My point being that for every person who really hates one of my songs, there will be somebody out there who really loves one of my songs. To know I have stirred true emotion in another human (love or hate) is why I keep doing this. Maybe I'm the one with a problem... ;)
                                    henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

I don't know who these people are Henwrench, and I don't know what horrific songs you have exposed them to, but for my ears every one of your songs so far has been very enjoyable, quirky, mind bending and usually a hoot.  These people that you are referring to must not have a good sense of what interesting music sounds like.  Post up some real shit if you want henwrench, give us your worst most appalling song ever, I would like to hear that.  If it truly is shit I will let you know, so far all I have heard is gems.  If you got real bad shit, put it up man, it could be very interesting to hear.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

i will need to scour the archives but flash harry started a thread to post your worst songs i think it was called the skip,a few of us posted our stuff that didnt quite work out lol.
re feedback i dont mind constructive criticism but on a few odd occassions it got personal and very nasty not nice at all wouldnt like to see that happening again.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Quote from: oldrottenhead on December 22, 2009, 07:49:15 AMre feedback i dont mind constructive criticism but on a few odd occassions it got personal and very nasty not nice at all wouldnt like to see that happening again.
Very good point here ORH, we don't want criticism to turn into personal attacks and nasty comments that add nothing positive to the discussion.  Thats not the kind of site we want here (lots of them out there).  Been there, don't want to go there again.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI'm a great believer in equal and exact opposites, that is - many people away from this site have listened to some of my tunes and condemed them as the worst thing they've ever heard (I's on the Horizon being a good example). This response thrilled me to the core because I'd managed to evoke true feeling amongst the music listening public instead of a 'Oh, that's nice...' kind of reaction. My point being that for every person who really hates one of my songs, there will be somebody out there who really loves one of my songs. To know I have stirred true emotion in another human (love or hate) is why I keep doing this. Maybe I'm the one with a problem... Wink
                                    henwrench
that reminds me, frank zappa signed a band because the audience hated them so much, he said if they effect people so much they must have something. i think the band was called "alice cooper" i wonder whatever became of them.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

henwrench

Quote from: oldrottenhead on December 22, 2009, 07:49:15 AMre feedback i dont mind constructive criticism but on a few odd occassions it got personal and very nasty not nice at all wouldnt like to see that happening again.

oh yea, anything that involves personal attacks on a person is A Really Bad Thing, but do you think any of the Worlds Great Recording Artists take it personally if some cretinous journo slags off their latest album? Or does it empower them? Or am I playing Devil's advocate?  ;) somebody should shut me up  :D
                                     henwrench

The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR